How Can I Enter a New Research Field and Understand Scientific Papers?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ismaili
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Field
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
ismaili
Messages
150
Reaction score
0
Dear all,

I'm asking a stupid question, but it puzzled me a lot.
Recently, I am wondering about "how to enter a field or subject?"

I am a research assistant now and I'm trying to read papers of my boss's subject.
He is a theoretical string theorist.
I found I was stuck at various technical part of each paper.
I'm eagerly to catch up with the progress of his research,
but when I read papers, I often can't derive equations of that paper.

To complete the omitted technical details of a paper seems to be a basic ability.
I am starting to worrying about if I'm appropriate to do theoretical high energy physics.
To be honest, I have no experience in research.
Now, I'm really depressed by a lot of stuff and equations suddenly bomb.

So, I want to know how you guys work with your boss?
How you guys "read a paper?"
Thank you so much!

Sincerely
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How is the relationship between you and your boss? Is he willing to answer your questions?