How can i evaluate the integral : Pi/2 $(1-3) Sqrt (t^2-1)dt

  • Thread starter Thread starter Riazy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Riazy
Messages
30
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement




The question scanned


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I don't really know what to do
 
Attachments
  • IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 587
Physics news on Phys.org
Probably try trig sub, with t equal to sec(theta)
don't forget to tack on a sec(theta)tan(theta) when you change dt to dtheta

Edit: I meant sec(theta)tan(theta) not tan^2(theta)

so it becomes

Integral of sec(theta)tan[tex]^{2}[/tex](theta) dtheta
 
Last edited:
[itex]sin^2(t)+ cos^2(t)=1[/itex] so that, dividing by [itex]cos^2(t)[/itex], [itex]tan^2(t)+ 1= sec^2(t)[/itex]. That is,
[tex]\sqrt{tan^2(t)- 1}= sec(t)[/tex]

And, of course, if x= tan(t), [itex]dx= sec^2(t)dt[/itex].
 
HallsofIvy said:
[itex]sin^2(t)+ cos^2(t)=1[/itex] so that, dividing by [itex]cos^2(t)[/itex], [itex]tan^2(t)+ 1= sec^2(t)[/itex]. That is,
[tex]\sqrt{tan^2(t)- 1}= sec(t)[/tex]

And, of course, if x= tan(t), [itex]dx= sec^2(t)dt[/itex].

This is incorrect. The correct substitution is

[itex]t = sec(x)[/itex] and then the radical becomes [itex]\sqrt{sec^2(x)- 1}= tan(x)[/itex]

and [itex]dt/dx = sec(x)tan(x)[/itex]. The integral then becomes:

[tex]\int{tan(x)sec(x)tan(x)dx} = \int{sec(x)tan^2(x)dx} = \int{sec(x)-sec^3(x)dx}[/tex]

edit - I don't know why my latex is all screwed up (I ****ING HATE LATEX) but hopefully he can understand what i wrote
 
So

[tex]I = \frac{\pi}{2}\int\limits_{1}^{3} \sqrt{x^2 - 1} \, dx[/tex].

Well, let [itex]x=\cosh t[/itex] first, compute the new limits and the new integral and then at the end use the double angle formula for [itex]\sinh t[/itex]

[tex]\sinh^2 t = \frac{1}{2}\left(\cosh 2t - 1\right)[/tex]