How can I expand this expression in powers of 1/c²?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Joao Victor
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
I was studying James B. Hartle's book - Gravity: an introduction to Einstein's General Relativity -, and in one section he expanded an expression in powers of 1/c², but I couldn't follow what he did. I do know this is related to a Taylor Series Expansion, and I do know how to construct the taylor expansion for a function f(x) [or even for a function of several variables], but I have no idea on how to proceed with this kind of expansion presented on the book.
Relevant Equations
e = \frac {mc^2+E} {mc^2} = 1 + \frac {2E} {mc^2} + ...
As I said before, I really have no idea on how to proceed.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You almost have it! [tex]\frac{mc^2+ E}{mc^2}= 1+ \frac{E}{mc^2}= 1+ \frac{E}{m}\frac{1}{c^2}[/tex]. That is the 'power series" [tex]a_0+ a_1\frac{1}{c^2}+ a_2\left(\frac{1}{c^2}\right)^2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex] with [tex]a_0= 1[/tex], [tex]a_1= \frac{E}{m}[/tex], and all other coefficients equal to 0.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
Joao Victor said:
Problem Statement: I was studying James B. Hartle's book - Gravity: an introduction to Einstein's General Relativity -, and in one section he expanded an expression in powers of 1/c², but I couldn't follow what he did. I do know this is related to a Taylor Series Expansion, and I do know how to construct the taylor expansion for a function f(x) [or even for a function of several variables], but I have no idea on how to proceed with this kind of expansion presented on the book.
Relevant Equations: e = \frac {mc^2+E} {mc^2} = 1 + \frac {2E} {mc^2} + ...

As I said before, I really have no idea on how to proceed.
The total energy per unit rest mass, ##e##, is defined as
$$e = \frac {mc^2+E_\text{Newt}} {mc^2},$$ but in equation (9.53), the lefthand side is ##e^2##. That's why the two appears in the second term. It's not a Taylor series expansion. Just multiply it out.