How Can I Find All Triples (a, b, c) in This Equation?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Marcelo Arevalo
  • Start date
In summary, we are trying to find all triples $(a, b, c)$ where $a$ is greater than both $b$ and $c$, and $a! = 4(b!) + 10(c!)$. The answer key provided is (4, 1, 2), (6, 5, 4), and (14, 13, 3). To begin solving this problem, we can make some observations such as $a$ being greater than $b$ and $c$, and the possibility of $c$ being equal to $b$. We can also rewrite the equation in terms of factorials and simplify it to get closer to a solution.
Marcelo Arevalo
I came across this problem in a book that I am reding.

Find All Triples (a, b, c) if a! = 4(b!) + 10(c!)there is an answer key :
(4, 1, 2) (6, 5, 4) (14, 13, 3)sorry I am not being lazy to solve this.. the truth is I don't know how to begin with in solving this kind of problem.
can you please help me or guide me on how to do this??
thank you everyone.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Marcelo Areyalo!

Here are a few observations that might help to get you started:

Marcelo Arevalo said:
I came across this problem in a book that I am reding.

Find All Triples (a, b, c) if a! = 4(b!) + 10(c!)

there is an answer key :
(4, 1, 2) (6, 5, 4) (14, 13, 3)

$a$ is certainly greater than both $b$ and $c$.

Assume that $c=b$, we then get
$\begin{align*}a!&= 4(b!) + 10(c!)\\&=14b!=14(13!)=14!\implies (a,\,b,\,c)=(14,\,13,\,13)\end{align*}$

Let $c\gt b$, the equality can be rewritten as:

$a!= 4(b!) + 10(c!)$

$\small 1(2)(3)\cdots(b-1)(b)\cdots(c-1)(c)\cdots(a-1)(a)= 4(1)(2)(3)\cdots(b-1)(b) + 10(1)(2)(3)\cdots(b-1)(b)(b+1)\cdots(c-1)(c)$

$\small \dfrac{1(2)(3)\cdots(b-1)(b)(b+1)\cdots(c-1)(c)\cdots(a-1)(a)}{(1)(2)(3)\cdots(b-1)(b) }=\dfrac{ 4(1)(2)(3)\cdots(b-1)(b)}{(1)(2)(3)\cdots(b-1)(b) } + \dfrac{10(1)(2)(3)\cdots(b-1)(b)(b+1)\cdots(c-1)(c)}{(1)(2)(3)\cdots(b-1)(b) }$

$\therefore (b+1)\cdots(c-1)(c)\cdots(a-1)(a)=4+ 10(b+1)\cdots(c-1)(c)$

I will leave it to you and the readers to complete the rest. :D

1. What are triples in the context of scientific research?

Triples refer to a data structure composed of three elements, typically used to represent relationships between objects or concepts. In scientific research, triples can be used to model complex systems or analyze large datasets.

2. How can I find triples in my data?

There are various methods for finding triples in data, depending on the type and format of the data. Some common techniques include using natural language processing tools, graph databases, or semantic web technologies like RDF and OWL.

3. What are some applications of triples in scientific research?

Triples can be used in a wide range of applications in scientific research, such as data mining, knowledge representation, information extraction, and machine learning. They are particularly useful for analyzing and making sense of complex and interconnected data.

4. How do I ensure the accuracy and reliability of triples in my research?

The accuracy and reliability of triples depend on the quality of the data and the methods used to generate them. It is important to carefully select and validate the data sources and to use reliable tools and techniques for creating and analyzing triples.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations when using triples in scientific research?

While triples can be a powerful tool for scientific research, there are some challenges and limitations to consider. These include the potential for errors in data or analysis, the need for specialized skills and tools, and the scalability of triple-based approaches to large datasets.