Given value of vectors a,b, b.c and a+(b×c), Find (c.a)

Aurelius120
Homework Statement
##a=\hat i-2\hat j+3\hat k## and ##b=\hat i+\hat j+\hat k##
##c## is a vector such that ##a+(b\times c)=0## and ##b.c=5##
Find ##3(c.a)##
Relevant Equations
$$(p\times q)\times r=(p.r)q-(q.r)p$$
20240126_040054.jpg

I thought this was too easy
$$a+(b\times c)=0\implies a=-(b\times c)=(c\times b)$$
Then
$$3(c.a)=3(c.(c\times b))=0$$
Since cross product of vectors is perpendicular to both vectors and dot product of perpendicular vectors is zero.

Now here's the problem, correct answer given is 10. But how do I get that?Why is my answer wrong?
It seems to hint at using vector triple product

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I crack my head to find why your method is wrong, but I find indeed 10 IF I use another method where I take the triple cross product ##a\times(b\times c)=0## (you can deduce this equation by taking the cross product with ##a## of the given equation.

Well the problem statement has a contradiction, it gives as ##a## clearly different than the zero vector, but it also gives that ##a+(b\times c)=0## from which you can deduce that either a is zero or that a is perpendicular to b (and perpendicular to c), neither can hold according to what is given for a and b.

Anyway that's what I concluded with my internal thinking but lets wait what @Orodruin or @pasmith have to say for this, two of the advisors that almost always find a "jet" and rigorous explanation.

@PeroK too plz have a look at this.

There is an obvious self-contraction in the problem statement. From ##\vec a + \vec b \times \vec c = 0## it is necessary that ##\vec a \perp \vec b## but the given ##\vec a## and ##\vec b## are not perpendicular by virtue of ##\vec a\cdot \vec b = 1-2+3 = 2 \neq 0##.

Likes MatinSAR, PeroK and Delta2
Orodruin said:
There is an obvious self-contraction in the problem statement. From ##\vec a + \vec b \times \vec c = 0## it is necessary that ##\vec a \perp \vec b## but the given ##\vec a## and ##\vec b## are not perpendicular by virtue of ##\vec a\cdot \vec b = 1-2+3 = 2 \neq 0##.

Delta2 said:
Well the problem statement has a contradiction, it gives as ##a## clearly different than the zero vector, but it also gives that ##a+(b\times c)=0## from which you can deduce that either a is zero or that a is perpendicular to b (and perpendicular to c), neither can hold according to what is given for a and b.

Anyway that's what I concluded with my internal thinking but lets wait what @Orodruin or @pasmith have to say for this, two of the advisors that almost always find a "jet" and rigorous explanation.

@PeroK too plz have a look at this.
😱
And this was a 'Previous Year Question' in an exam. They tried too hard to make it difficult.
[Attachment missing. Link removed by moderator]
This solution that gives 10.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not the first and not the last time someone makes a mistake when formulating an exam.

My favourite was when our classical mechanics teacher asked us to find the natural frequency of oscillations around a stable equilibrium that was, in fact, unstable. The rest of the class got imaginary frequencies. I showed that the equilibrium was unstable, found the actual stable equilibrium of the system (which was significantly more complex), and found the frequency for that equilibrium. I got 6 out of 3 points for that problem. 😂

• Informative
Likes SammyS, Aurelius120, MatinSAR and 2 others

1. What is the formula for finding the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors a and b is given by: a · b = |a| * |b| * cos(theta), where |a| and |b| are the magnitudes of vectors a and b, and theta is the angle between them.

2. How do you calculate the cross product of two vectors?

The cross product of two vectors a and b is given by: a × b = |a| * |b| * sin(theta) * n, where |a| and |b| are the magnitudes of vectors a and b, theta is the angle between them, and n is the unit vector perpendicular to both a and b in the direction given by the right-hand rule.

3. What is the formula for finding the sum of two vectors added to the cross product of two other vectors?

The formula for finding the sum of vectors a and the cross product of vectors b and c added together is given by: a + (b × c).

4. How can you find the dot product of vector c and vector a+(b×c)?

To find the dot product of vector c and vector a+(b×c), you can use the distributive property of the dot product over addition: c · (a + (b × c)) = c · a + c · (b × c).

5. What is the relationship between the dot product and the cross product of two vectors?

The dot product and the cross product of two vectors are related by the distributive property: a · (b × c) = (a × b) · c. This relationship allows for the interchange of dot and cross products in certain calculations involving vectors.