How can I find the range of a hyperbolic curve using its graph?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Range
In summary, the graph of y = 1/x has a curve in quadrants 1 and 3 that does not cross the lines y = 0 and x = 0. This function is weird because it has a curve in quadrants 1 and 3 that does not cross the lines y = 0 and x = 0. The range of this graph is $y \in \mathbb{R}, \, y \ne 0$.
mathdad
Find the range using the graph of y.

y = 1/x

This function is weird. It has a curve in quadrants 1 and 3 that does not cross the lines y = 0 and x = 0.

How can I determine the range of such a graph?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
domain is $x \in \mathbb{R}, \, x \ne 0$

range is $y \in \mathbb{R}, \, y \ne 0$

why so difficult to interpret the graph?[DESMOS=-10.10016694490818,9.89983305509182,-10.45,9.55]y=\frac{1}{x}[/DESMOS]

I know what this graph looks like. I've seen it hundreds of times but what does it mean to a novice math learner? There is a curve in quadrants 1 and 3 that does not cross the lines x = 0 and y = 0. The textbook answer is (-infinity, 0) U (0, infinity). What on the graph tells me that this is the correct range?

There is a curve in quadrants 1 and 3 that does not cross the lines x = 0 and y = 0.

if a graph of a function does not cross a vertical line like x = 0, then that line is a vertical asymptote ... x = 0 is excluded from the function's domain.

if a graph of a function does not cross a horizontal line like y = 0, then that line is a horizontal asymptote ... y = 0 is excluded from the function's range.

can't put it any plainer than that ... maybe you should select video(s) from the link for alternative, non-textbook explanations

https://www.google.com/search?q=ide..._eHUAhUY6GMKHSHzDhAQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=638

I'll seek more video help than textbooks. I can find just about anything on youtube.com. I will use this site when a video clip makes no sense.

RTCNTC said:
I know what this graph looks like. I've seen it hundreds of times but what does it mean to a novice math learner? There is a curve in quadrants 1 and 3 that does not cross the lines x = 0 and y = 0. The textbook answer is (-infinity, 0) U (0, infinity). What on the graph tells me that this is the correct range?

It may interest you to know that the curve:

\(\displaystyle y=\frac{1}{x}\)

is actually a hyperbolic curve. Consider the graph of the hyperbolic curve:

\(\displaystyle x^2-y^2=1\)

and its asymptotes, given by:

\(\displaystyle x^2=y^2\)

[DESMOS=-5,5,-1.7346053772766694,1.7346053772766694]x^2-y^2=1;x^2=y^2[/DESMOS]

It can be shown that by rotating our axes by \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{4}\), the graphed hyperbola becomes:

I'll wait until you get to the section on rotation of axes before we explore that further. :D

MarkFL said:
It may interest you to know that the curve:

is actually a hyperbolic curve. Consider the graph of the hyperbolic curve:

\(\displaystyle x^2-y^2=1\)

and its asymptotes, given by:

\(\displaystyle x^2=y^2\)
It can be shown that by rotating our axes by \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{4}\), the graphed hyperbole becomes:

I'll wait until you get to the section on rotation of axes before we explore that further. :D

Cool. Continue to answer my questions. I appreciate your guidance through my review of a great course. I will use youtube precalculus clips to review each chapter and post questions here when needed. Check your inbox.

What is the range of a function?

The range of a function is the set of all possible output values, or the dependent variable, that a function can produce. It is the set of all y-values that correspond to the x-values in the domain of the function.

How do you find the range of a function?

To find the range of a function, you can graph the function or create a table of values and look for the pattern in the output values. Alternatively, you can use algebraic methods such as substitution or solving for the dependent variable in terms of the independent variable.

Why is the range important in a function?

The range is important because it helps us understand the behavior and limitations of a function. It tells us the possible outputs for a given input and can help us identify the minimum and maximum values of a function.

Can the range of a function be infinite?

Yes, the range of a function can be infinite if the function has an unbounded domain or if the function has a vertical asymptote. In these cases, there is no limit to the possible output values of the function.

What is the difference between the domain and the range of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values, or the independent variable, while the range is the set of all possible output values, or the dependent variable. In other words, the domain represents the inputs while the range represents the outputs of a function.