How can I get decimal answers on my TI-89 calculator when using pi?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ryuk1990
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calculator Ti-89
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Ryuk1990
Messages
157
Reaction score
0
This is not necessarily a math question, but I have a problem with a TI-89 calculator. Calculating something with pi doesn't give me a decimal answer. For example, if I put in 2*pi, it will just give an answer of 2pi instead of 6.28. How do I fix this?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It frequently does that sort of thing, preferring things like 3/5, for example. Unfortunately I have been told not to just give away answers, so I can only say that you have to study the manual. One reason the calculator does that is to avoid the error of round off.

However, besides a certain button, just like with PARI--a free download--you can sometimes get around such things by writing 2(pi)x1.0, and trying that.
 
Last edited:
Two solutions as far as I can remember. I think there is a setting in modes for decimal or exact and settings, you could switch that.

Or if you press the green button (the one with the dot) it will give answers in decimal if you are in exact mode, and exact answers if you are in decimal mode.