How can I keep my calculations in exact form on the TI-89?

  • Topic: Calculators 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Poisonous
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Statistics Ti-89
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Poisonous
Messages
26
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I've been trying, with no success, for the past few hours to find a way to keep calculations done in the TI-89's "Stats/List Editor" in exact form instead of decimal. For example, when I enter the following information:

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4061/prob1y.jpg

I get:

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/2123/prob2y.jpg

Where I want p1_hat to be 22/36, p2_hat to be 20/23, etc..

The Attempt at a Solution



I know in the older TI's you could do something like, Math->exact->p1_hat, and it would give it to you, but if I do Math->numbers->exact()->exact(statvars\p1_hat) I get the following:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9542/prob3.jpg

If you know of a way or another program that I can download to get the exact forms, I'd be very grateful!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
press "mode" and change the "Exact/Approx" setting from "Auto" to "Exact". Then re-input your data.
 
I've tried it. It doesn't work with the stats/list editor :(
 
Well, the infomation that I enter shows in exact form, but the calculated information is still is approximte. The p1_hat, for example, still shows as .6111111111.