How can I get hands-on skills?

• Thread starter nuclear85
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Skills
In summary, the speaker has a PhD in Nuclear Engineering with a focus on irradiation damage to materials. They have an undergraduate degree in physics and printmaking. However, they currently only do computer simulations and do not have much hands-on experience in engineering. They express a desire to work with 3D printers and textiles, but feel like they are losing the opportunity to learn those skills. They wonder if it is possible to gain hands-on experience once they find a job and where people typically acquire those skills if not through research. The speaker also mentions the possibility of doing a postdoc in their desired field.
nuclear85
I'm about a year away from finishing my PhD in Nuclear Engineering with a focus on irradiation damage to materials. I have an undergraduate degree in physics, and another in printmaking.

Currently, I do only computer simulations. Though my degree will technically be engineering, my simulations are basic science, really. So, I really don't have a lot of experience with engineering, per se. I would really love to do something more hands-on... like, with 3D printers, textiles... actually making something, while using my materials knowledge! When I started my graduate career and picked an advisor, he said there would be opportunity for experimental work, but it just never panned out. Now that I'm about to graduate, I feel like I'm losing the opportunity to learn that kind of thing.

I just don't want to sit behind a computer everyday for the rest of my life, although I'm certainly willing to do some of that! Is it possible to get hands-on kind of experience once I find a job somewhere? I see a lot of interesting postings, but I don't have the mechanical skills needed. Where do people get these skills if they weren't directly part of one's undergraduate/graduate research?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about doing a postdoc in an area you want to work in?

My PhD involved almost completely doing Monte Carlo simulations and data analysis. As an experimentalists I knew my hands-on knowledge was weak but I was lucky enough to find a postdoctoral position where I spent the first two years building the experiment up from scratch. It was a great.

1. What are some ways to gain hands-on skills?

There are several ways to gain hands-on skills, including internships, volunteering, attending workshops or training programs, participating in research projects, and taking hands-on courses. These opportunities allow you to apply what you have learned in a practical setting and learn new skills.

2. How important is hands-on experience for a career in science?

Hands-on experience is essential for a career in science. It allows you to develop practical skills and understand the real-world application of scientific concepts. Hands-on experience also demonstrates your ability to work independently and problem-solve, which are highly valued in the scientific field.

3. How can I find hands-on opportunities in my field of interest?

You can find hands-on opportunities by networking with professionals in your field, searching online job boards, and reaching out to companies or organizations directly. Additionally, your university or college may have resources or programs to help you find hands-on experience in your chosen field.

4. Can I gain hands-on skills while still in school?

Absolutely! Many universities and colleges offer hands-on courses, research opportunities, and internships for students to gain practical experience while still in school. These experiences can also help you decide which areas of science you are most interested in pursuing.

5. What are the benefits of gaining hands-on skills?

Gaining hands-on skills has many benefits, including improving your problem-solving abilities, increasing your knowledge and understanding of scientific concepts, and making you more competitive in the job market. It also allows you to build a professional network and gain practical experience that can help you in your future career.