1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I get hands-on skills?

1. Jul 19, 2011 #1
    I'm about a year away from finishing my PhD in Nuclear Engineering with a focus on irradiation damage to materials. I have an undergraduate degree in physics, and another in printmaking.

Currently, I do only computer simulations. Though my degree will technically be engineering, my simulations are basic science, really. So, I really don't have a lot of experience with engineering, per se. I would really love to do something more hands-on... like, with 3D printers, textiles... actually making something, while using my materials knowledge! When I started my graduate career and picked an advisor, he said there would be opportunity for experimental work, but it just never panned out. Now that I'm about to graduate, I feel like I'm losing the opportunity to learn that kind of thing.

I just don't want to sit behind a computer everyday for the rest of my life, although I'm certainly willing to do some of that! Is it possible to get hands-on kind of experience once I find a job somewhere? I see a lot of interesting postings, but I don't have the mechanical skills needed. Where do people get these skills if they weren't directly part of one's undergraduate/graduate research?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2011 #2
    How about doing a postdoc in an area you want to work in?

My PhD involved almost completely doing Monte Carlo simulations and data analysis. As an experimentalists I knew my hands-on knowledge was weak but I was lucky enough to find a postdoctoral position where I spent the first two years building the experiment up from scratch. It was a great.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook