1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I go into computers when I suck at math

1. Sep 3, 2011 #1
    Yo all, I am going to start senior year in high school (finally... )
    and you know, just thinking what I should go for.

Ever since I was young, I was into computers. I love computers and would like to learn about hardware and perhaps programming.
    I would use the computer a lot when I was a young kid, I guess the first exposure was when I was three years old I'd watch my pops play Age of empires.

Computers are really great... I'm good at handling one.
    I was thinking about in college (first I go to community college)
    taking a Computer major.
    But I really am terrible at math. My skills mentally don't click, it takes much drilling and effort for me to understand a math concept. a lot of practice.
    In algebra 1 I got a B, Geometry lol ... 65% at the end of year, so a D, Trigonometry was intro to trigo, it was a C.

when it comes to math, I don't do very good, and to work with computers, at least in college, it requires a lot of math skills.

In science, I got a straight B+ in chemistry. I enjoyed chemistry. I studied a lot though, to understand the concepts.

should I do computers or not? any chances? or perhaps I have a misconception. But I most certainly wasn't born with a 'math' brain (I'm in the arts but still like computers.)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2011 #2

gb7nash

Homework Helper

If you want to major in computer science and be a programmer, you'll be at a disadvantage if you're not proficient in mathematics. A lot of good algorithms and software hinge on sound logic and mathematics. If you want to program, work on improving your math skills. Get a tutor, talk to your teacher, etc.

As far as the hardware side of things go, I'm not entirely sure. If you want to be a computer technician, I don't think that much math is involved. I'm not 100% sure on that though.

4. Sep 4, 2011 #3

eumyang

Homework Helper

Assuming that you're from the US, did you skip Algebra 2? Or was there are typo or omission in your post?

The schools you will be applying to will vary, but at my alma mater the following math courses were required for a CS major:
    Calculus I
    Calculus II
    Linear Algebra
    Discrete Math
    Probability & Statistics

5. Sep 4, 2011 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

There are non-academic "certifications" such as Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MSCE) and Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) that you get by passing exams, not by going to college. I haven't studied the material these certifications require, but my impression is that they do not emphasize math or programming as much as a compuer science curriculum in college. People without college degrees who have such certifications can get jobs in computer administration.

It wouldn't hurt your resume to have a college degree in someething, even if it isn't computer science. You will probably need to take some training in order to pass the exams, but there are non-academic companies that give courses that cover the material.

6. Sep 4, 2011 #5
    well what I was thinking was not computer science but Computer Engineer. I read CS involves more math (??)

Also, the algebra 2 course was with the trigonometry course in my school. So it combined both. I did good in some things in that course like the cosine stuff, circles blah blah. I think the harder part for me was the algebra section.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook