How can I go into computers when I suck at math

• Thread starter flarekary
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computers
In summary: I feel like I need to study more for it.In summary, the author is thinking about going to college and whether or not to major in computer science. They mention that if you want to be a computer technician, you don't need as much math skills as someone who wants to be a computer scientist. They also mention that if you don't have a college degree, it might not hurt to have some training in order to pass certification exams.
flarekary
Yo all, I am going to start senior year in high school (finally... )
and you know, just thinking what I should go for.

Ever since I was young, I was into computers. I love computers and would like to learn about hardware and perhaps programming.
I would use the computer a lot when I was a young kid, I guess the first exposure was when I was three years old I'd watch my pops play Age of empires.

Computers are really great... I'm good at handling one.
I was thinking about in college (first I go to community college)
taking a Computer major.
But I really am terrible at math. My skills mentally don't click, it takes much drilling and effort for me to understand a math concept. a lot of practice.
In algebra 1 I got a B, Geometry lol ... 65% at the end of year, so a D, Trigonometry was intro to trigo, it was a C.

when it comes to math, I don't do very good, and to work with computers, at least in college, it requires a lot of math skills.

In science, I got a straight B+ in chemistry. I enjoyed chemistry. I studied a lot though, to understand the concepts.

should I do computers or not? any chances? or perhaps I have a misconception. But I most certainly wasn't born with a 'math' brain (I'm in the arts but still like computers.)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to major in computer science and be a programmer, you'll be at a disadvantage if you're not proficient in mathematics. A lot of good algorithms and software hinge on sound logic and mathematics. If you want to program, work on improving your math skills. Get a tutor, talk to your teacher, etc.

As far as the hardware side of things go, I'm not entirely sure. If you want to be a computer technician, I don't think that much math is involved. I'm not 100% sure on that though.

flarekary said:
But I really am terrible at math. My skills mentally don't click, it takes much drilling and effort for me to understand a math concept. a lot of practice.
In algebra 1 I got a B, Geometry lol ... 65% at the end of year, so a D, Trigonometry was intro to trigo, it was a C.

Assuming that you're from the US, did you skip Algebra 2? Or was there are typo or omission in your post?

flarekary said:
should I do computers or not? any chances? or perhaps I have a misconception. But I most certainly wasn't born with a 'math' brain (I'm in the arts but still like computers.)

The schools you will be applying to will vary, but at my alma mater the following math courses were required for a CS major:
Calculus I
Calculus II
Linear Algebra
Discrete Math
Probability & Statistics

There are non-academic "certifications" such as Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MSCE) and Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) that you get by passing exams, not by going to college. I haven't studied the material these certifications require, but my impression is that they do not emphasize math or programming as much as a compuer science curriculum in college. People without college degrees who have such certifications can get jobs in computer administration.

It wouldn't hurt your resume to have a college degree in someething, even if it isn't computer science. You will probably need to take some training in order to pass the exams, but there are non-academic companies that give courses that cover the material.

well what I was thinking was not computer science but Computer Engineer. I read CS involves more math (??)

Also, the algebra 2 course was with the trigonometry course in my school. So it combined both. I did good in some things in that course like the cosine stuff, circles blah blah. I think the harder part for me was the algebra section.

1. Can I still pursue a career in computers if I struggle with math?

Yes, you can still have a successful career in computers even if you struggle with math. While some aspects of computer science do require a strong foundation in math, there are many other roles and areas of specialization within the field that do not heavily rely on math skills.

2. What skills are more important for a career in computers besides math?

Some important skills for a career in computers include problem-solving, critical thinking, logical reasoning, attention to detail, and strong communication skills. These skills can be developed and honed through practice and experience, rather than relying solely on math abilities.

3. Are there any resources or tools to help me improve my math skills for a career in computers?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you improve your math skills for a career in computers. Online courses, tutoring, and practice problems are just a few options. You can also focus on strengthening your understanding of specific math concepts that are relevant to your desired role in the field.

4. How can I overcome my fear or aversion to math in order to pursue a career in computers?

One way to overcome your fear or aversion to math is to approach it with a growth mindset. Instead of thinking that you are bad at math and will never improve, remind yourself that math skills can be learned and developed with effort and practice. Seek out support and resources to help you gain confidence in your math abilities.

5. Can I find a job in computers that doesn't require any math skills?

While most jobs in the computer science field will require some level of math skills, there are some roles that may not heavily rely on math. These can include positions in user experience design, technical writing, or project management. However, having a basic understanding of math will still be beneficial in these roles.