How can I improve my ability to work with proofs?

• Studying
  • Thread starter Arnoldjavs3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs Work
In summary, the student is a CS major and is about to take discrete mathematics, but feels weak in proofs and wants to improve. They are asking for book recommendations or other resources to prepare over the summer. They mention not knowing where to begin with proofs and making proper use of given information. Other students suggest trying to construct counterexamples and working back from what needs to be proved. The student has only taken calculus 1 and linear algebra, and is looking for recommendations at an appropriate level.
Arnoldjavs3
I'm a CS student and I'm about to take discrete mathematics next two semesters. My proofs are very weak and I want to change this. (I'm told discrete math is a lot of proofs.)

Are there any books/courses/resources to help me work my way up? I have a summer to prepare for.

Physics news on Phys.org
Arnoldjavs3 said:
I'm a CS student and I'm about to take discrete mathematics next two semesters. My proofs are very weak and I want to change this. (I'm told discrete math is a lot of proofs.)

Are there any books/courses/resources to help me work my way up? I have a summer to prepare for.
In what way are you weak on proofs? Are there gaps in the logic? Are you unable to see how to prove something? Do you confuse sufficiency with necessity? Or...?

Here are a couple of books I have that might be helpful to you.
"How to Read and Do Proofs, 2nd Ed." -- Daniel Solow, ISBN 0-471-51004-1
"The Nuts and Bolts of Proofs" -- Antonella Cupillari, ISBN 0-534-10320-0

haruspex said:
In what way are you weak on proofs? Are there gaps in the logic? Are you unable to see how to prove something? Do you confuse sufficiency with necessity? Or...?
Not knowing where to begin. How to make proper use of information that they already give me.

Mark44 said:
Here are a couple of books I have that might be helpful to you.
"How to Read and Do Proofs, 2nd Ed." -- Daniel Solow, ISBN 0-471-51004-1
"The Nuts and Bolts of Proofs" -- Antonella Cupillari, ISBN 0-534-10320-0

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Arnoldjavs3 said:
Not knowing where to begin. How to make proper use of information that they already give me.
A method I often used to was to try to construct a counterexample, i.e. disprove the thing to be proved. It can shed light on why the given facts prevent such a counterexample.

Sometimes it is easier to work back from what is to be proved, but generally that only works for if-and-only-if.

In a formula to be proved, the structure of the formula can give hints. E.g. if the answer has arcsin in it, it suggests a trig substitution in the method.

Arnoldjavs3 said:
My proofs are very weak and I want to change this. (I'm told discrete math is a lot of proofs.) Are there any books/courses/resources to help me work my way up?

You haven't said what you've actually studied in this area. If you can be specific, that might help people give you more precise recommendations.

For example, I recently took a popular introductory-level MOOC on predicate logic & proofs, via Stanford University - Introduction to Mathematical Thinking - and enjoyed it. But I can't tell from what you've said so far if this would be appropriate for you, or whether it would be too elementary.

UsableThought said:
You haven't said what you've actually studied in this area. If you can be specific, that might help people give you more precise recommendations.

For example, I recently took a popular introductory-level MOOC on predicate logic & proofs, via Stanford University - Introduction to Mathematical Thinking - and enjoyed it. But I can't tell from what you've said so far if this would be appropriate for you, or whether it would be too elementary.

Aside from calculus 1, linear algebra i haven't taken any maths. Or atleast not anymore that I can recall.

1. What are some strategies for understanding and comprehending proofs?

One strategy for understanding and comprehending proofs is to break the proof down into smaller, more manageable chunks. This can help you focus on each step and better understand the logic behind it. Additionally, it can be helpful to actively engage with the proof by asking yourself questions and trying to come up with counterexamples.

2. How can I improve my logical reasoning skills?

Improving your logical reasoning skills takes practice and patience. One way to do this is by regularly working on logic puzzles and problems. You can also try to explain mathematical concepts and proofs to others, as this can help you solidify your understanding and reasoning abilities.

3. What resources can I use to learn more about working with proofs?

There are many resources available to help you improve your ability to work with proofs. Some options include textbooks, online tutorials and videos, practice problems and exercises, and seeking help from a math tutor or professor. It can also be helpful to join a study group or attend a workshop on proofs.

4. How can I stay organized when working with proofs?

Staying organized is key when working with proofs. One way to do this is by writing down all the given information and what you are trying to prove. Then, clearly outline the steps you need to take to reach the proof. It can also be helpful to use different colors or symbols to distinguish between different parts of the proof.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when working with proofs?

One common mistake when working with proofs is assuming that a statement is true without actually proving it. It is important to always back up your claims with solid reasoning and evidence. Another mistake is skipping steps or not clearly explaining each step in the proof. It is important to be thorough and precise when working with proofs.