How can I make my sigmas more noticeable in my LaTeX paper?

  • Topic: LaTeX 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Dahaka14
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Latex Sigma
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 20K views
Dahaka14
Messages
73
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I am trying to write a paper describing my undergraduate research and its progress to a committee. I am having trouble making my sigmas boldface using LaTeX. I am using the correct coding, because it is working when I wish to type other vectors, but the sigmas look the same whether I type \mathbf{\sigma} or {\bf \sigma}. My temporary fix is to just put an arrow above with \vec{\sigma}, but I don't want to be inconsistent with my other vectors being boldface. What can I do to make the boldface of my sigmas more noticeable?


Homework Equations



\mathbf{\sigma} or {\bf \sigma}?

The Attempt at a Solution



i guess \vec{\sigma}
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You need the LaTeX package amsbsy (or amsmath). Put

\usepackage{amsbsy}

near the top of your document, and then use $\boldsymbol\sigma$.
 
And if you want to make all your vectors boldface, I suggest something like

\renewcommand\vec[1]{\ensuremath\boldsymbol{#1}}

in the preamble of your document and just use \vec everywhere. If you later decide that boldface is not distinctive enough and you want arrows after all, it will save you a lot of work.