How can I model both photons and neutrons with MCNP?

In summary: I'm not sure what the problem is, but it looks like you might need to set up some environment variables.In summary, MCNP reported errors when compiling the code.
elua0105
Hello, I am a student who started studying MCNP. I'm not used to writing in English, so I'd appreciate it if you could understand even if there were grammatical errors in my thread.

I want to check the energy of gamma rays from neutrons reacting with matter. So, I wrote this in the content of the data card.

C data card
mode n p
imp:n 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0
imp:p 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0
F8:p 1
E8 0 98i 11
F5:p 0 0 1 0
Sdef pos 5 5 10 ERG=25 PAR=1
phys:p 100 1 1 -1 0
phys:n 100 0 0 0 0
M1 ~~~
M2 ~~~
nps 100000

I've used the code for shooting photons several times, but I'm not sure what the problem is because it's my first time shooting neutron.
Can you tell me where the problem is or if you have any information site to refer to?

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi,

It's easier to help if you send either the full problem, or a minimal problem that still shows the error.

Also if MCNP is reporting an error, what is the error, or if it's reporting a result incorrectly, what is it reporting and what should it be reporting?

Alex A said:
Hi,

It's easier to help if you send either the full problem, or a minimal problem that still shows the error.

Also if MCNP is reporting an error, what is the error, or if it's reporting a result incorrectly, what is it reporting and what should it be reporting?
Thanks for your reply.
When I used the code through the mcnpx, the mcnpx didn't work completely and seemed to have errors with some warning phrases. So I implemented it with a visual editor, and the following warning came up.

캡처.JPG
zs.JPG

I guess there was probably a problem setting up phys or imp:n because it's okay to shoot only photons except Neutron. But I don't know exactly where the problem is and how to fix it.

Thank you so much for taking the time to care my question.

First I think you have a library problem.
For a neutron transport, materials must be write ZZAAA not ZZ000. For example 1001 not 1000 ; 8016 not 8000

Likes Asmae SAADI and Alex A
Some libraries use ZZ000 for natural abundance elements, but that is very patchy. There clearly is a library problem. Some surfaces are the same as other surfaces, so the problem needs attention.

To me the problem file seems to contain a lot of mistakes and probably needs to be fixed line by line.

Likes PSRB191921
Hi,
I'm trying to calculate the number of photons-neutrons produced when an electron beam hits a target, but when compiling the MCNPX code, I find these fatal errors, and actually I don't understand them and how I can solve them:
fatal error. missing gdr.dat file.
fatal error. missing CEM data file(s).
fatal error. more than one particle-type designator

Attachments

• ext.PNG
    ext.PNG
    7.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Qn2.PNG
    Qn2.PNG
    4.9 KB · Views: 103
First you cannot write f2:p,n but :
F2:n 23
F12:p 23

Second you have problem with the libraries
For W write
M1 74182 -.3 74183 -.1 74184 -.3 74186 -.3

For pb :
M3 80206 -.24 80207 -.22 80208 -.52

For kapton :
M2 6000 22 7014 2 8016 5
Mx2:p 6012 j j

For your source I think there is a mistake I would have written something like :
Sdef pos=0 0 0 erg=18 par=3 vec = 0 0 -1 dir=1 rad=d1

• Informative
Likes rpp and Alex A
@Asmae SAADI ,
mcnpx cannot find your data files. Most probably your DATAPATH variable is not set, or not set correctly. Your xsdir file is presumably present, or you would get a different error. I have mine edited so the first line looks like
Code:
DATAPATH=/media/alex/path/to/MCNP_DATA/
(I am in linux)

1. How does MCNP model photons and neutrons?

MCNP uses the Monte Carlo method to simulate the transport of particles through a medium. It models both photons and neutrons by tracking their interactions with the material and calculating their probabilities of scattering, absorption, and other processes.

2. Can MCNP model the interactions between photons and neutrons?

Yes, MCNP has the capability to model the interactions between photons and neutrons. It can simulate scattering, absorption, and other processes that occur when these particles interact with each other.

3. What type of data is required to model photons and neutrons in MCNP?

To model photons and neutrons in MCNP, you need to provide data on the material properties, such as density and composition, as well as the energy spectrum and source of the particles. Additionally, you may need to specify the geometry and boundary conditions of the system being modeled.

4. Are there any limitations to modeling photons and neutrons in MCNP?

MCNP has a wide range of capabilities for modeling photons and neutrons, but there are some limitations. For example, it may not accurately model very low energy particles or complex geometries. It is important to carefully consider the capabilities and limitations of MCNP when using it for your specific application.

5. Can MCNP be used to model other types of particles besides photons and neutrons?

Yes, MCNP can be used to model a variety of particles, including electrons, protons, and alpha particles. It can also simulate other types of radiation, such as gamma rays and beta particles. However, the specific capabilities and limitations may vary depending on the particle being modeled.