How Can I Prove that a_{n+1}>a_n for All n in a Tough Sequence?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Shing
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sequence
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 3K views
Shing
Messages
141
Reaction score
1
[tex]a_{n+1}=3-\frac{1}{a_n}[/tex]
[tex]a_1=1[/tex]

How should I prove that [tex]a_{n+1}>a_n[/tex]
for all n, ?
I have tired to use counter example,
assuming
[tex]a_n>a_{n+1}[/tex]
then contradiction appears,
but I found that what I was doing is just to counter "for all n"



How should I prove that
[tex]a_{n+1}>a_n[/tex] ,for all n ?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Induction seems to be the obvious choice. Try working backwards by assuming:
[tex]a_{n+1} > a_n[/tex]
and then showing that it implies [tex]a_n > a_{n-1}[/tex]. You should then be able to reverse the steps, prove [tex]a_2 > a_1[/tex] and the induction is complete.
 
probably I got it now,
thanks!
 
Last edited:
Well if I had to do this in an exam, I wouldn't use induction,too much for me to write and I don't like to write.

[tex] a_{n+1}=3-\frac{1}{a_n}[/tex]

[itex]-a_n[/itex] i.e. minus a_n from both sides of the equation.

[tex] a_{n+1}-a_n =3-\frac{1}{a_n} -a_n[/tex]

Bring the right side to the same denominator and see what happens.From the expression for [itex]a_{n+1}[/itex] and [itex]a_1=1[/itex], what does that say for [itex]a_n[/itex]?
 
rock.freak667 said:
Well if I had to do this in an exam, I wouldn't use induction,too much for me to write and I don't like to write.

[tex] a_{n+1}=3-\frac{1}{a_n}[/tex]

[itex]-a_n[/itex] i.e. minus a_n from both sides of the equation.

[tex] a_{n+1}-a_n =3-\frac{1}{a_n} -a_n[/tex]

Bring the right side to the same denominator and see what happens.From the expression for [itex]a_{n+1}[/itex] and [itex]a_1=1[/itex], what does that say for [itex]a_n[/itex]?

If you mean [itex]a_{n+1}-a_n[/itex] is positive as [itex]\frac{{a_n}^2+3a_n-1}{a_n}[/itex] is positive and that implies [itex]a_{n+1}>a_n[/itex]

but how do you know that [itex]\frac{{a_n}^2+3a_n-1}{a_n}[/itex] is positive?
or [itex]{a_n}^2+3a_n>1[/itex]?
 
If you want to avoid typing out an inductive argument, simply assume the minimality of n.

Assume for contradiction that there exist at least one n such that [itex]a_{n} \leq a_{n+1}[/itex]. Let [itex]m[/itex] be the smallest integer such integer. Then:
[tex]a_{m} \leq a_{m+1} \Rightarrow 3-\frac{1}{a_{m-1}} \leq 3-\frac{1}{a_m} \Rightarrow a_{m-1} \leq a_m[/tex]
This contradicts the minimality of m.
 
gunch said:
If you want to avoid typing out an inductive argument, simply assume the minimality of n.

Assume for contradiction that there exist at least one n such that [itex]a_{n} \leq a_{n+1}[/itex]. Let [itex]m[/itex] be the smallest integer such integer. Then:
[tex]a_{m} \leq a_{m+1} \Rightarrow 3-\frac{1}{a_{m-1}} \leq 3-\frac{1}{a_m} \Rightarrow a_{m-1} \leq a_m[/tex]
This contradicts the minimality of m.
What is the minimality of n?
I checked this in the Internet, is it something about Strong minimality theory??
 
No it's simply a way to say that m is the least possible. We assumed that [itex]m[/itex] was the smallest value for which the original statement was false, but we showed that this implies that [itex]m-1[/itex] makes the original statement false. There exist a value smaller than m even though we assumed m was the smallest, therefore there can't exist a smallest element.
 
Direct Proof?

[tex]a_{n+1}=3-\frac{1}{a_n}[/tex]
[tex]a_1=1[/tex]

Prove: [itex]a_{n+1}>a_n[/itex] for all n?

Let's use a direct comparison:

[tex]a_{n+1} > a_n[/tex]
[tex]3 - \frac{1}{a_n} > a_n[/tex]
[tex]\frac{a_n^2-3a_n+1}{a_n} < 0[/tex]

This is zero or undefined for [itex]a_n = \frac{3 \pm \sqrt{5}}{2}, 0[/itex]

The solution to this inequality is [itex]a_n < \frac{3 - \sqrt{5}}{2} \cup 0 < a_n < \frac{3 + \sqrt{5}}{2}[/itex].

Since [itex]a_1[/itex] is in the solution set, this is shown to be true.

Now we have to show that you can't jump boundaries for [itex]a_1 = 1[/itex].
 
Last edited:
I made a mistake in my initial reply here it is fixed.

[tex]a_{n+1}=3-\frac{1}{a_n}[/tex]
[tex]a_1=1[/tex]

Prove: [itex]a_{n+1}>a_n[/itex] for all n?

Let's use a direct comparison:

[tex]a_{n+1} > a_n[/tex]
[tex]3 - \frac{1}{a_n} > a_n[/tex]
[tex]\frac{a_n^2-3a_n+1}{a_n} < 0[/tex]

This is zero or undefined for [itex]a_n = \frac{3 \pm \sqrt{5}}{2}, 0[/itex]

The solution to this inequality is [itex]a_n < 0 \cup \frac{3 - \sqrt{5}}{2} < a_n < \frac{3 + \sqrt{5}}{2}[/itex].

Since [itex]a_1[/itex] is in the solution set, this is shown to be true.

Now we have to show that you can't jump boundaries for [itex]a_1 = 1[/itex].
 
Since [itex]a_1 = 1[/itex] lies in the second boundary, we will only work with that boundary.

Next we have to find all values for [itex]a_n[/itex] that will allow [itex]\frac{3-\sqrt{5}}{2} < 3 - \frac{1}{a_n} < \frac{3+\sqrt{5}}{2}[/itex] to be true.

[tex]\frac{3-\sqrt{5}}{2} < 3 - \frac{1}{a_n}[/tex]
[tex]a_n < 0 \cup a_n > \frac{3-\sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{3+\sqrt{5}}{2} > 3 - \frac{1}{a_n}[/tex]
[tex]0 < a_n < \frac{3+\sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]

The intersection of those intervals yields: [itex]\frac{3-\sqrt{5}}{2} < a_n < \frac{3+\sqrt{5}}{2}[/itex]

Since [itex]a_1=1[/itex] is in our interval we know that [itex]a_{n+1}[/itex] will not jump out of the good interval.

Is this good enough?
 
Last edited: