Finding limit of the Fibonacci sequence

• Thread starter ChiralSuperfields
  • Start date
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
I am trying to understand whether part (c) of the problem below is wrong. I have also provided my working and the solutions.
Relevant Equations
Sequence notation ##\{a_n\}##
For this problem,
1693109161637.png

My working is

##\{\frac{a_{n + 2}}{a_{n+1}}\} = \{1 + \frac{a_n}{a_{n +1}}\}## using part (b)
Then

##\lim_{n \to \infty} b_n = \lim_{n \to \infty} (1 + \frac{a_n}{a_{n +1}})## which should equal ##L##.

However, does someone please know why it does this cause the sequence to converge to ##L##. The solution does not explain anything (just simply states the definition):
1693127774509.png

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The limit, n, in
##
\def\brack{\overwithdelims[]}

\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} {\log {a_{n+2}} \brack \log {a_{n+1}}}
##
is a dummy index. We can replace ##n+1## with ##m## and so also ##n+2 = m+1##. Then it becomes
##

\lim_{m\rightarrow \infty} {\log {a_{m+1}} \brack \log {a_{m}}}
##

Likes ChiralSuperfields
ChiralSuperfields said:
Homework Statement: I am trying to understand whether part (c) of the problem below is wrong. I have also provided my working and the solutions.
Relevant Equations: Sequence notation ##\{a_n\}##

For this problem,
View attachment 331096
My working is

Then

##\lim_{n \to \infty} b_n = \lim_{n \to \infty} (1 + \frac{a_n}{a_{n +1}})## which should equal ##L##.

However, does someone please know why it does this cause the sequence to converge to ##L##. The solution does not explain anything (just simply states the definition):
View attachment 331100

Many thanks!
I am not sure what you are asking, partly because the question is bizarre.
Part c, as @FactChecker notes, is a somewhat trivial and general result unconnected with parts a and b.
I would have written the question as "using the trivial fact that ##\lim_{n \to \infty}(\frac{a_{n + 1}}{a_{n+2}}) = \lim_{n \to \infty} ( \frac{a_n}{a_{n +1}})##, show that ##L=1+1/L##". Or is that part d?

Likes ChiralSuperfields and FactChecker
FactChecker said:
The limit, n, in
##

\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} {\log {a_{n+2}} \brack \log {a_{n+1}}}
##
is a dummy index. We can replace ##n+1## with ##m## and so also ##n+2 = m+1##. Then it becomes
##

\lim_{m\rightarrow \infty} {\log {a_{m+1}} \brack \log {a_{m}}}
##
haruspex said:
I am not sure what you are asking, partly because the question is bizarre.
Part c, as @FactChecker notes, is a somewhat trivial and general result unconnected with parts a and b.
I would have written the question as "using the trivial fact that ##\lim_{n \to \infty}(\frac{a_{n + 1}}{a_{n+2}}) = \lim_{n \to \infty} ( \frac{a_n}{a_{n +1}})##, show that ##L=1+1/L##". Or is that part d?
Thank you for your replies @FactChecker and @haruspex !

Yeah I am still confused by this problem. I might have a chat to the professor who made since he might have idea what the tutorial question was trying to ask. Part d is:
1693202663634.png

Many thanks!

ChiralSuperfields said:

Yeah I am still confused by this problem. I might have a chat to the professor who made since he might have idea what the tutorial question was trying to ask. Part d is:
View attachment 331120

Many thanks!
I would say my proposed version of part c is the logical step towards part d.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
I would say my proposed version of part c is the logical step towards part d.
Thank you for your help @haruspex! I think you are right.

You may also use the fact that if the sequence converges to L, all values for n large-enough will be as close to L as you wish.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
ChiralSuperfields said:
Homework Statement: I am trying to understand whether part (c) of the problem below is wrong. I have also provided my working and the solutions.
Relevant Equations: Sequence notation ##\{a_n\}##

For this problem,
View attachment 331096
My working is

Then

View attachment 331100

Many thanks!
c) Is just saying that if ##\lim_{n \to \infty} a_n = L## then ##\lim_{n \to \infty} a_{n+1} = L##.
This is a true statement, and in fact true for every fixed-length shift (positive & negative).
The proof idea / sketch would be notice that if for ##n > N## we have ##|a_n - L| < \delta##, then for ##n > N## we must trivially have ##|a_{n+1} - L| < \delta##, as ##n+1>N##.

There's no need for fancy arguments.

Likes ChiralSuperfields and e_jane
ChiralSuperfields said:

View attachment 331120

Many thanks!
Suppose we have proved convergence of the limit ##\lim_{n\to \infty} {a_{n+1} \over a_n}## (I'm not sure if that was proven beforehand? and I'm also too lazy to do a proof of convergence if I don't know if it has).
Even if you don't know what this limit is, but call it ##L## for now.
You can rewrite the recurrence relation as ##{a_{n+2} \over a_{n+1}} = 1 + {a_n \over a_{n+1}}##.
We can apply the limit on both sides, notice by c) the limit of LHS is just ##L##
The probably known laws of limits (though mention me if you don't know) tell you:
##\lim_{n \to \infty} 1 + {a_n \over a_{n+1}} = 1 + 1 /\left(\lim_{n \to \infty} {a_{n+1} \over a_n}\right) = 1+ {1 \over L}##
Finally you arrive at ##L = 1 + {1 \over L}##, and so ##L^2 - L - 1 = 0##.
Solving this leads to two solutions, those being:
##L \in \left\{ {1-\sqrt{5} \over 2}, {1 + \sqrt{5} \over 2}\right\}##
The one with the ##-## is negative, but the terms of the fibonacci sequence are always positive (can you prove / convince yourself why?) so the limit must be ##{1 + \sqrt{5} \over 2}##, ending the exercise.
I think this highlights the ideas of a proof, again if you have any question feel free to mention me.

• Informative
Likes ChiralSuperfields and e_jane

1. What is the Fibonacci sequence?

The Fibonacci sequence is a mathematical sequence where each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers, starting with 0 and 1. The sequence is as follows: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, etc.

2. How do you find the limit of the Fibonacci sequence?

The limit of the Fibonacci sequence is found by taking the ratio of two consecutive numbers in the sequence. As the numbers in the sequence get larger, this ratio approaches a constant value known as the golden ratio, approximately equal to 1.618. This value is the limit of the Fibonacci sequence.

3. Why is finding the limit of the Fibonacci sequence important?

Finding the limit of the Fibonacci sequence is important in understanding the behavior of the sequence as it approaches infinity. It also has many applications in fields such as mathematics, biology, and finance.

4. What is the formula for finding the limit of the Fibonacci sequence?

The formula for finding the limit of the Fibonacci sequence is: lim(n→∞) Fn+1/Fn = φ, where Fn represents the nth term in the sequence and φ represents the golden ratio.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the limit of the Fibonacci sequence?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the limit of the Fibonacci sequence, such as using the Binet's formula or using the Fibonacci spiral. However, the ratio method is the most commonly used and efficient method for finding the limit.