How Can I Solve These Challenging Physics Homework Questions?

• Thread starter MikeDDD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the ray of light will hit the water at an angle of 73.8° and will penetrate into the water if the critical angle is reached. The width and height of the image will be 24.0 mm x 36.0 mm.
MikeDDD
Hi guys I have a take home assignment for physics and I really need to do well or I'm going to fail the semester and I just really need some help with some questions I'm really stressing. Any help would be so appreciated beyond belief!

Question 1:
A glass is half-full of water, with a layer of oil (n = 1.55) floating on top. A ray of light traveling downward through the oil is incident on the water at an angle of 73.8°. Take the refraction index of water to be 1.333.

(a) Determine the critical angle for the oil-water interface.

(b) Will the ray penetrate into the water? 1 = yes, 2 = no: Type the number of the correct answer.

Question 2:

A ray of sunlight is passing from diamond into crown glass; the angle of incidence is 31.00°. The indices of refraction for the blue and red components of the ray are: blue (ndiamond = 2.444, ncrown glass = 1.531), and red (ndiamond = 2.410, ncrown glass = 1.520).
Determine the angle between the refracted blue and red rays in the crown glass. Give your answer to two significant figures.

and the final question I just have no idea what to do, any help much appreciated.

Question 3:

A slide projector has a converging lens whose focal length is 119.00 mm. (a) How far (in meters) from the lens must the screen be located if a slide is placed 121.81 mm from the lens? If the slide measures 24.0 mm (height) x 36.0 mm (width), what are the magnitudes of the (b) width (in mm) and (c) height (in mm) of its image?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone move my post to homework section. Apologies to all.

In the futrue please post a single question per thread.

We need to to show us that you have but some thought into these questions. Have you discussed anything in class that might help you with these proplems?

Related to How Can I Solve These Challenging Physics Homework Questions?

1. How can I improve my time management skills for completing homework?

One way to improve time management skills for completing homework is to create a schedule and stick to it. Set specific times for completing different assignments and prioritize tasks based on their due dates and level of difficulty. Also, try to eliminate distractions and focus solely on the task at hand.

2. What resources can I use to help me understand difficult homework questions?

There are many resources available to help you understand difficult homework questions. You can ask your teacher or classmates for help, consult textbooks or online resources, or even seek out a tutor. Additionally, breaking down the question into smaller parts and practicing similar problems can also improve your understanding.

3. How can I stay motivated to complete my homework?

Staying motivated to complete homework can be challenging, but setting achievable goals and rewarding yourself after completing them can help. It's also important to remind yourself of the importance of homework and how it can contribute to your overall academic success. Additionally, taking breaks and finding a comfortable and quiet study space can also help with motivation.

4. What should I do if I don't understand a homework question?

If you don't understand a homework question, don't be afraid to ask for help. You can ask your teacher or classmates for clarification, or seek out additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials. It's important to address any confusion early on, rather than struggling with it until the assignment is due.

5. How can I make sure I am completing my homework accurately?

One way to ensure you are completing your homework accurately is by double-checking your work. Make sure to carefully read and follow the instructions, and use resources such as textbooks or class notes to guide you. It's also helpful to ask for feedback from your teacher or peers to catch any mistakes that you may have missed.