How can I tell if the night sky is observable from here?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
TidusBlade
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Firstly, sorry if this is a stupid question but I was just wondering if there's a way I can tell if the night sky is observable where I'm living, Dubai. I really want to get a telescope but it'll be a waste if I can't even use it here.

Where I live, I wouldn't say that there's too much background light but the highway is a few hundred meters behind my house, although it's layers of houses so I don't see most of it myself.

Don't want to make this so long so I guess I'm just looking for a little bit of guidance since I'm a little lost and confused and want to start off in amateur astronomy with a telescope.

Any advise or links appreciated and thanks in advance ^_^
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
The simplest way is to go outside and try to identify the dimmest star you can see and check with a star chart to see what magnitude it is.

There are also probably weather sites that tell you the sky's transparency, but I only have ones for the US...
 
Well I found a star chart, and went out on the balcony to see if I could locate anything until I noticed that the full moon was unusually bright tonight, I was able to see a few stars but all of them were similar in brightness, at least to me, so I guess I'll try tomorrow night.

And thanks for the advice russ, hopefully it won't be so bright tomorrow :)
 
The moon will be full on June 7. Try waiting about 1 week, and observe before the moon becomes visible in the sky.
 
Well it's technically June 7 here, well 2 hours into it anyways but yeah, I'll be sure to remind myself to check the sky in a week's time, Thanks :)