How can I turn off overtype when preparing a new thread?

In summary: Hope this helps!In summary, the textbook is from an old era and does not have a solutions manual, so someone needs to check the work. The problem is that Kw is 1.0*10^-14 and Ka HCLO is 3.5*10^-8, but the constants are not correct. The equations for pH, H+, and OH- are correct, but the Kw/Ka HCLO value is not.
tua28494
Here is a problem I was working on but I do not have a solutions manual because Its an old textbook. I would just like someone to look over my work.

Homework Statement

Calculate the pH of a 0.67 M NaClO solution.

NaClO -> Na+ + ClO-

ClO- + H2O -> HCLO + OH-

Kw = 1.0*10^-14
Ka HCLO = 3.5*10^-8

Could you please check if these constants are correct.

Homework Equations

Kb = Kw/Ka HCLO

pH = -log [H+]

The Attempt at a Solution

Kb = Kw/Ka HCLO = 1.0*10^-14/3.5*10^-8 = 2.86 * 10^-7

With Kb we can solve concentrations for OH-

Kb = [HClO] [OH-] / [ ClO-]
2.86 *10^-7 = (x)(x) / (0.67-x) Quadratic Formula
x = 4.38 * 10 -4 M
[OH-] = 4.38 * 10^-4 M

[H+] [ OH-] = 1.0 *10^-14
[H+] = 1.0 *10^-14 / 4.38 * 10^-4 M
= 2.28 * 10^-11 M

pH = - log[H+]
= - log( 2.28 * 10^-11)
= 10.64

This is a reasonalbe result.

My last question is how do I turn off overtype when I am preparing a new thread?
Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK. My sources give pKa for hypochlorous acid as 7.53.

tua28494 said:
My last question is how do I turn off overtype when I am preparing a new thread?

No idea what you mean.

--
methods

So if the pKa is 7.53 should I use a different Ka?

Not necesarilly. These values quite often differ between sources. If you are given pKa value, use it in calculations. If you ask for help and ask others to check your results - list pKa value that you used.

--
methods

I agree thank you

I think what she means by overtype is, when typing out a post, if you need to go back and make a correction to what you typed your correction eats away your typed text.

For your information, I had the same problem and came looking here for an answer, then I realized that my problem had been fixed. After some cursory exploration, I found that there is an "Insert" key on my keyboard right next to my left arrow key, that turns on overtype. Hit it again to turn it off.

What is pH and why is it important in chemistry?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It represents the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution and is important in chemistry because it can affect the behavior and properties of substances.

How is the pH of a solution determined?

The pH of a solution can be determined by using a pH meter, litmus paper, or other indicators that change color in response to the acidity or basicity of a solution. These indicators are calibrated to a standard scale of 0-14, with 7 being neutral, values below 7 being acidic, and values above 7 being basic.

What factors can affect the pH of a solution?

The pH of a solution can be affected by various factors, such as the concentration of acids or bases, the presence of buffer solutions, temperature, and the presence of other chemicals that can react with the solution. pH can also be affected by physical processes, such as dilution and evaporation.

How does pH affect chemical reactions?

pH can affect the rate and direction of chemical reactions. Some reactions may only occur at a specific pH, while others may be catalyzed or inhibited by changes in pH. pH can also affect the solubility and stability of different substances, which can impact the outcome of a chemical reaction.

What is the difference between pH and pOH?

pH and pOH are two scales used to measure the acidity or basicity of a solution. While pH measures the concentration of hydrogen ions, pOH measures the concentration of hydroxide ions. Both scales are related by the equation pH + pOH = 14, and a solution with a pH of 7 is neutral, while a solution with a pOH of 7 is also neutral.