Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can one get from one parallel universe to another?

1. Aug 18, 2013 #1
    Hi all,

This is an entirely new question, separate from the post I just asked. I am just learning about parallel universes, and am starting from scratch.

Is there any information about how to go between parallel universes? What are the physical barriers from doing so?

I know this is broad, but maybe a couple of simplistic examples would suffice.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2013 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is no information about going between. It is not a question of physical barriers - it is a question of no known connections, assuming they exist.

4. Aug 18, 2013 #3

arivero

Gold Member

I think it involves a box with a potato and a switch marked West/East

5. Aug 18, 2013 #4

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You fiend! You have stolen my invention!!!

6. Aug 18, 2013 #5

arivero

Gold Member

I always suspected you were Willis Linsay. Not the real name, by the way.

7. Aug 18, 2013 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Albert, the reason this thread has drifted off into frivolity is that there is absolutely NO evidence for parallel universes and most physicists (although not all) just don't take the concept seriously. Even if they DO exist, it is unlikely that there will be any way to detect them, much less figure out how to move between them (a concept that is unlikely to have any physical meaning anyway).

8. Aug 18, 2013 #7
    Is that book any good?

9. Aug 18, 2013 #8

arivero

Gold Member

Only for hard fans of Prachett (or Baxter). It is not another version of Discworld but another version of Ringworld (!), using "steps" across parallel universes instead of the original Ring and following the same scheme of a small tripulation exploring the long world. Some parts of the book sounds as the ones that Prachett labels "for young adults" (Nation, etc).

10. Aug 31, 2013 #9
    "NO evidence for parallel universes and most physicists (although not all) just don't take the concept seriously".

I didn't realize that. I suppose I'm a victim of hollywood here, and sci-fi writers love to use || universes so thought there was something behind them. I have seen lectures in grad school about branes and M-theory but if they are just pure conjecture at this point, its good to know. In a way its too bad, I was really looking to learn about them.

11. Aug 31, 2013 #10

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Yesterday's dreams are tomorrow's reality.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook