How Can the Langevin Equation Be Transformed into a Fokker-Planck Equation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JVanUW
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Planck
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
JVanUW
Messages
23
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



This isn't actually homework but I'm really interested in finding the solution.

So I have the langevin equation dy/dt = -dV/dy +η(t)

where V(y) = -by^3/3 + ζy

how can I turn this into a fokker-planck equation?

Homework Equations



x' = v(x) +η(t)

v(x)= -udV/dx

The Attempt at a Solution



Using the format of the langevin equation x' = v(x) +η(t), I get

x' = -u(bx^2+ζ) + η(t) (( v(x)= -udV/dx ))

Which I don't know how to solve in closed form.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your differential equation is in the "standard form"
[tex]dy = -b y^2 dt + dB[/tex]

For a generic SDE, we have
[tex]dx = b(t,x) dt + a(t,x) dB[/tex]
and the corresponding Fokker-Planck equation is
[tex]\frac{\partial f(t,x)}{\partial t} = - \frac{\partial}{\partial x} (b(t,x) f(t,x)) + \frac{1}{2} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} (a^2(t,x) f(t,x))[/tex]