How to find the Piola-Kirchhoff stress tensor

In summary: A is the area under the stress-strain curve. θ is the angle between the stress-strain curve and the x-axis. \rho is the density of the material.
honululu

Homework Statement

Hello,
I am supposed to show that the quantity

TR=JTF-t

satisfies

TR=∂W/∂F

for some scalar function W(X, F, θ) in my continuum mechanics homework. The task is to identify this scalar function W(X, F, θ).

Homework Equations

This is part b) of a question. In part a), we get the following results which may or may not be relevant to the solution of the problem:

Constitutive equations are:
T=T(F,θ)
η=η(F,θ)
A=A(F,θ)
q=q(F,θ,gradθ)

where
η = -∂A/∂θ
TF-T = ρ*∂A/∂F

The Attempt at a Solution

By substitution of the results in 2., I got

TR=JTF-t
=J*ρ*∂A/∂F
R(X)*∂A(F,θ)/∂F(X)

Is it as easy as saying that

W(X, F, θ) = ρR(X)*A(F,θ) ?

That's the solution I got but it seems too easy/I'm unsure... :D

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thank you so so much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that [itex]T_R[/itex] is the First Piola-Kirchhoff Stress (PK1), T is the Cauchy Stress, F is the Deformation Gradient, J is the determinant of F, and W is the Strain Energy Density...

[itex]T_R=\frac{\partial W}{\partial F}[/itex] is another way of saying that the PK1 Stress and the Deformation Gradient are "work conjugate." Indeed they are -- i.e. they behave in the same way under a rigid body rotation. Similarly, the Cauchy Stress is work-conjugate with the Almansi Strain and the PK2 Stress is work conjugate with the Green Strain, etc... This is important, because a FEA software may choose to calculate the PK1 Stress for a given element, and it would presumably be able to do so if the Deformation Gradient of that element is known. If the Green Strain is known, on the other hand, then that would be insufficient by itself to obtain the PK1 Stress (although you could presumably obtain the PK2 stress in this case).

I believe you're being asked to show that the PK1 stress ([itex]\mathbf{T}_R[/itex]) and F are work-conjugate.
You say that you're being asked to actually find W, but that doesn't make much sense to me. W is different for metals, rubber, etc... [itex]T_R=\frac{\partial W}{\partial F}[/itex] is true regardless of the material...

[itex]W(\mathbf{X},\mathbf{F},\theta)=\rho_R\mathbf{X}*A(\mathbf{F},\theta)[/itex] is totally meaningless to me. Can't help there.
I might be able to help more if you define your variables: A, [itex]\theta[/itex], and [itex]\rho[/itex]...

1. What is the Piola-Kirchhoff stress tensor?

The Piola-Kirchhoff stress tensor is a mathematical representation of the internal forces acting on a deformable material. It is used in continuum mechanics to describe the stress state of a material under deformation.

2. How is the Piola-Kirchhoff stress tensor different from the Cauchy stress tensor?

The Piola-Kirchhoff stress tensor takes into account the effect of the material's deformation on the stress state, while the Cauchy stress tensor only considers the stress at a specific point in the material.

3. How is the Piola-Kirchhoff stress tensor derived?

The Piola-Kirchhoff stress tensor is derived from the Cauchy stress tensor by incorporating the deformation gradient tensor, which describes the change in position and size of material elements as the material deforms.

4. What is the physical significance of the Piola-Kirchhoff stress tensor?

The Piola-Kirchhoff stress tensor represents the internal forces that act on a material and can be used to determine the material's response to external loads and deformations. It is an important tool in studying the mechanical behavior of materials.

5. In what applications is the Piola-Kirchhoff stress tensor commonly used?

The Piola-Kirchhoff stress tensor is commonly used in engineering and scientific fields, such as solid mechanics, fluid mechanics, and structural analysis. It is also used in computer simulations and modeling of material behavior under various conditions.