How can the recurrence relations for Eisenstein series G_k(z) be proven?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Series
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
4,662
Reaction score
372
Can someone give me a hint how to show the recurrence relations for [tex]G_k(z)[/tex]
,in wiki it's for the d_n's?

Other than proving it by induction I don't have clue what to do here.

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Were talking about the recurrence relation here, right?

I haven't worked out all the details, but here's how the proof is supposed to go:

The Weierstrass [itex]\wp[/itex] function (see here) satisfies the following differential equation:

[tex][\wp'(z)]^2 = 4[\wp(z)]^3 - g_2\wp(z) - g_3[/tex]

where [itex]g_2[/itex] and [itex]g_3[/itex] are the same as defined in the wiki article on Eisenstein series. Differentiate this equation and cancel [itex]\wp'(z)[/itex] to get the second order differential equation

[tex]\wp''(z) = 6[\wp(z)]^2 - \frac{1}{2}g_2[/tex]

Now, as in the Eisenstein series article, we have

[tex]\wp(z) = z^{-2} + z^2 \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{d_kz^{2k}}{k!} = \frac{1}{z^2} + \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}(2k + 1)G_{2k+2}z^{2k}[/tex]

Differentiate twice and equate like powers of z.
 
I am an idiot, the second ODE you gave me I proved before this task.

I shouldv'e known it would be that easy.

Thanks.