How Can Trigonometric Substitution Simplify the Integral of x²/√(1-x²)?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
kathrynag
Messages
595
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



[tex]\int^{0}_{1}\frac{x^{2}}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}[/tex]

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Let x=sintheta
dx=cos theta
[tex]\int^{0}_{1}\sin^{2}[/tex]
Now I get stuck
 
Physics news on Phys.org
well, i believe

[tex]sin^2x=\frac{1-cos2x}{2}[/tex] would help.
 
You don't show dx in your original integral, but it should be there. You need to replace it and the square root in the denominator, using your substitution.

In your substitution, dx = cos(theta) d(theta).
 
There's a trig formula that let's you express sin(theta)^2 in terms of cos(2*theta). Can you find it?
 
sutupidmath said:
well, i believe

[tex]sin^2x=\frac{1-cos2x}{2}[/tex] would help.

so then i would make u=2x and du=2dx
 
kathrynag said:
so then i would make u=2x and du=2dx

well first you would break it into 1/2-1/2 cos(2x) then if you want you can make that substituion, that would work.
 
sutupidmath said:
well first you would break it into 1/2-1/2 cos(2x) then if you want you can make that substituion, that would work.

Ok, well that's what I meant.
 
:wink:
kathrynag said:
Ok, well that's what I meant.