How can we find the volume of an ellipsoid using an integral?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter -=nobody=-
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ellipsoid Volume
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 20K views
-=nobody=-
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Well, I have a small problem. I know the general formula for the volume of an ellipsoid. But I have a task to find it with the help of an integral. Can you explain me how to do this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
-=nobody=- said:
Thank you very much, the information is great.
And can you write the formula like in https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=577097&postcount=12" but for an ellipsoid where a, b and c are different.

No, that's for a spheroid (two axes equal). For the general ellipsoid use the triple integral method. Of course the final answer comes out to a simple [tex]V = \frac{4}{3}\pi abc[/tex], it's just the derivation that's involved.
 
Last edited by a moderator: