1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of an ellipsoid using double integrals

1. Jul 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using double integrals, calculate the volume of the solid bound by the ellipsoid:

x²/a² + y²/b² + z²/c² = 1

2. Relevant data

must be done using double integrals

3. The attempt at a solution

i simply can't find a way to solve this by double integrals, i did with triple integral, but my teacher won't accept it, this is the last question and i can't find a solution for it, a step-by-step would be awsome.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If it were a solid of rotation you could do it in a single-integral right?
    Basically you have to use reasoning in the place of one of the integrals ...

Find the volume between $$z=c^2\left ( 1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}-\frac{y^2}{b^2} \right )$$ and the x-y plane.

4. Jul 8, 2013 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The first integration in the triple integral is trivial, and afterwards you get a double-integral - you can use this double-integral (ignoring the first step) to solve the problem.

5. Jul 8, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Essentially the same idea: projecting the ellipsoid to the xy-plane (z= 0) gives the ellipse [itex]x^2/a^2+ y^2/b^2= 1[/itex]. The two heights at each (x, y) point are [itex]z= \pm c\sqrt{1- x^2/a^2- y^2/b^2}[/itex]. The difference, [itex]2c\sqrt{1- x^2/a^2- y^2/b^2}[/itex], is the length of thin rectangle above that point and is the function to be integrated. For each x, The ellipse goes from [itex]y= -b\sqrt{1- x^2/a^2}[/itex] to [itex]y= b\sqrt{1- x^2/a^2}[/itex]. And, over all, x goes from -a to a. The volume of the ellipse is given by
    [tex]\int_{-a}^a\int_{-b\sqrt{1- x^2/a^2}}^{b\sqrt{1- x^2/a^2}} 2c\sqrt{1- x^2/a^2- y^2/b^2} dydx[/tex].

As mfb says, this is the same as if you started with the triple integral
    [tex]\int_{-a}^a\int_{-b\sqrt{1- x^2/a^2}}^{b\sqrt{1- x^2/a^2}}\int_{-c\sqrt{1- x^2/a^2- y^2/b^2}}^{c\sqrt{1- x^2/a^2- y^2/b^2}} dzdydx[/tex]
    and integrated once.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted