How can we test string theory?

In summary, there are currently no experiments planned to directly test string theory, but the theory predicts supersymmetry which may be found at the LHC. Some methods from string theory have been shown to have direct applications in QCD processes that are currently difficult to calculate, but the LHC may make them feasible. However, the focus on string theory has shifted and it is now seen as a useful tool for understanding QCD rather than a direct test of the theory itself.
Chaos' lil bro Order
I was wondering what experiments are planned in the future to verify/fallsify string theory. As I am sure there are many experiments being proposed, does anyone know of an experiment that has been approved and slated for a future date?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you test string theory as a whole?

Can you be more specific?

I don't think there are any experiments planned which are claiming to directly test string theory. Although string theory predicts supersymmetry which we may find at LHC, supersymmetry could be there also without any strings.

What about the QCD experiments in the RHIC? They (press releases) said that string theory, or at least Maldacena's conjecture, was a tool to explain the properties of the quark-gluon plasma and perform the calculations that otherwise would have been impossible to perform within QCD.

Thanks, I'll look into them.

hellfire said:
What about the QCD experiments in the RHIC? They (press releases) said that string theory, or at least Maldacena's conjecture, was a tool to explain the properties of the quark-gluon plasma and perform the calculations that otherwise would have been impossible to perform within QCD.
I had a chat with a professor last week who mentioned that. Apparently a bunch of methods from string theory for calculating something I don't understand were shown by the ever prolific Ed Witten to have direct application to QCD processes we currently don't have decent ways of calculating but which will be within the power of the LHC to create. The conitations for string theory have kind of fallen away but it's proved itself useful in providing methods for QCD which otherwise might have been a long time in the making.

I think the professor managed to convince a friend to do his PhD in these new processes :cry:

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to reconcile the principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity. It suggests that all particles in the universe are actually tiny, vibrating strings, and that the different vibrations of these strings give rise to the different particles and forces we observe.

2. Why is it important to test string theory?

String theory has the potential to provide a unified understanding of the fundamental forces and particles in the universe. By testing it, we can gain a better understanding of the nature of reality and potentially make new discoveries that could lead to technological advancements.

3. How can we test string theory?

There are various ways to test string theory, including mathematical calculations, simulations, and experiments. Some proposed experiments involve high-energy particle colliders, while others involve observing the effects of string theory on cosmological phenomena such as the formation of the universe.

4. What challenges do scientists face when trying to test string theory?

One of the main challenges in testing string theory is that it currently lacks empirical evidence. This means that scientists must rely on mathematical and theoretical frameworks to make predictions and design experiments. Additionally, the energy scales required to test string theory are currently beyond our technological capabilities.

5. What are the potential implications if string theory is proven to be true?

If string theory is proven to be true, it would revolutionize our understanding of the universe. It could potentially lead to the development of new technologies, such as faster-than-light travel and advanced quantum computers. It could also provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and the origins of the universe.