Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can we test string theory?

1. Nov 9, 2006 #1
    I was wondering what experiments are planned in the future to verify/fallsify string theory. As I am sure there are many experiments being proposed, does anyone know of an experiment that has been approved and slated for a future date?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2006 #2

Can you test string theory as a whole?

Can you be more specific?
  4. Nov 9, 2006 #3

Science Advisor

I don't think there are any experiments planned which are claiming to directly test string theory. Although string theory predicts supersymmetry which we may find at LHC, supersymmetry could be there also without any strings.
  5. Nov 9, 2006 #4

Science Advisor

What about the QCD experiments in the RHIC? They (press releases) said that string theory, or at least Maldacena's conjecture, was a tool to explain the properties of the quark-gluon plasma and perform the calculations that otherwise would have been impossible to perform within QCD.
  6. Nov 10, 2006 #5
    Thanks, I'll look into them.
  7. Nov 13, 2006 #6
    I had a chat with a professor last week who mentioned that. Apparently a bunch of methods from string theory for calculating something I don't understand were shown by the ever prolific Ed Witten to have direct application to QCD processes we currently don't have decent ways of calculating but which will be within the power of the LHC to create. The conitations for string theory have kind of fallen away but it's proved itself useful in providing methods for QCD which otherwise might have been a long time in the making.

I think the professor managed to convince a friend to do his PhD in these new processes :cry:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?