How Can You Calculate the Ball's Speed Inside an Inverted Cone?

  • Thread starter Thread starter abeltyukov
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Circle Motion
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
abeltyukov
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Hi,

There is an inverted cone with height h. There is a ball rolling around inside creating a horizontal circle. The height from the tip of the inverted cone to the ball is y. a is given from the center of the cone to the outer edge.

The question asks to express the ball's speed in terms of a, h, y, and g.

I am confused as to why a is shown from the center of the cone to the edge. Is a in this case the same as acceleration?

I know a = w^2 * r as well as a = (v^2)/r
I have the forces in the y-direction: N = mg
I have the forces in the x-direction: (h-y)sin(theta) = (mv^2)/r

I believe I am screwing up on the x-direction forces. Any suggestions?


Thank you very much,
Alex
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The normal force is perpendicular to the surface. That's not where you put it in your force equation. That will also help you fix the force equations for X.

Dorothy