Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can you determine if there is a moment and how does it works?

1. Feb 13, 2010 #1
    how can you determine if there is a moment and how does it works?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi bogoa! Welcome to PF! :wink:
    Do you mean the moment of a force?

Any force has a moment about any point that does not lie on the line of application of the force.

The moment has magnitude Fd, where F is the force and d is the distance from the point to the line. :smile:

4. Feb 15, 2010 #3
    Re: Moments

ahh..but how can you determine the counter clockwise and clockwise method in moment of couples??

5. Feb 16, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of couples?

If by couple you mean a pair of equal and opposite forces, then usually you'll be told whether it's clockwise or counter clockwise … how else would a couple be specified?

Or if you mean the moment of a single force, it's usually obvious whether it's clockwise or counter clockwise, just by looking at it … if the force is going clockwise of the pivot, then it's clockwise!

If that's not clear, give an example where you're not sure how to determine whether it's clockwise or counter clockwise. :smile:

6. Feb 17, 2010 #5
    Re: Moments

ah..thanks by the way..i've just got the answer my friend!!now i can determine how to use counter and clockwise method by determining how the two force will react. and it will depend on the value of forces...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook