How can you easily graph the trace of z=y²-x²?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nameVoid
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Quadratic Surface
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
nameVoid
Messages
238
Reaction score
0
In equation z=y^2-x^2 when graphing the trace for y^2-x^2=k I see we have y=+-x for k=0 else y=+-sqrt(k+x^2) is there a simple way to graph this
 
Physics news on Phys.org
We'll to answer my own question I find it convenient to first take k=0 then we have y=+-x then taking k=1 and y=0 we have points (+-1,0) for k<0 then taking x=0 we have point (0,+-1) for k>0 now here we see that as y to +- infinity y will tend to the line y=+-x using lhopatols rule any thoughts here
 
nameVoid said:
In equation z=y^2-x^2 when graphing the trace for y^2-x^2=k I see we have y=+-x for k=0 else y=+-sqrt(k+x^2) is there a simple way to graph this
In addition to the horizontal cross sections you are plotting, it would be useful to plot the traces in the three coordinate planes. For example, in the y-z plane (when x = 0) you get z = y2, a parabola. In the x-z plane, you also get a parabola.
 
Yes I am just interested in that particular trace is there's better way to graph it
 
For y = ##\sqrt{x^2 + k}##, just plot some points. The graph of y = ##-\sqrt{x^2 + k}## is the reflection across the x-axis of the first one.