How can I solve for x in the equation z = y/x * 1/(x-y)?

• Thread starter onequestion321
  • Start date
In summary, the person is trying to solve an equation to help with coding and is stuck. The equation involves finding the average wait time in a queue in a mono-server system. They are looking for an equation to determine the ideal number of servers based on a desired average wait time and arrival rate. They have attempted a solution but are stuck due to not being able to remove a subtraction from the equation. They mention a known bug in the preview viewer feature.
onequestion321

Homework Statement

Not a homework problem. I'm trying to solve an equation that will help me with some code I'm writing but I'm stuck. I haven't done much math in a while and I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if solving for x here is even possible, though the equation works so... it should be right?

Homework Equations

The title actually contains the result of one of my solution attempts. The original equation is:

z = y/x * 1/(x-y)

This is actually the equation to find the average wait time in a queue in a mono-server system.
I'm hoping to get an equation I can use to determine the ideal number of servers to use given a desired average wait time (z) and the arrival rate (y). x here should equal the service rate needed to attain the desired average wait time. I know that solving for x with those two numbers won't directly give the number of servers needed but I THINK I'll be able to calculate that using the actual service rate and the value of x.

The Attempt at a Solution

As you can see from the title I got to:

x(x-y) = y/z

And here I'm stuck because I can't figure out what to do about (x-y). Every solution I've attempted has been vexed by an inability to get that subtraction out of the equation. If there's some algebraic trick I'm not aware of I'd love to pointed in the right direction.

Homework Statement

PS. There's a bug in your preview viewer that causes the template to be appended to the text.

Physics news on Phys.org
onequestion321 said:

Homework Statement

Not a homework problem. I'm trying to solve an equation that will help me with some code I'm writing but I'm stuck. I haven't done much math in a while and I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if solving for x here is even possible, though the equation works so... it should be right?

Homework Equations

The title actually contains the result of one of my solution attempts. The original equation is:

z = y/x * 1/(x-y)

This is actually the equation to find the average wait time in a queue in a mono-server system.
I'm hoping to get an equation I can use to determine the ideal number of servers to use given a desired average wait time (z) and the arrival rate (y). x here should equal the service rate needed to attain the desired average wait time. I know that solving for x with those two numbers won't directly give the number of servers needed but I THINK I'll be able to calculate that using the actual service rate and the value of x.

The Attempt at a Solution

As you can see from the title I got to:

x(x-y) = y/z

And here I'm stuck because I can't figure out what to do about (x-y). Every solution I've attempted has been vexed by an inability to get that subtraction out of the equation. If there's some algebraic trick I'm not aware of I'd love to pointed in the right direction.

Homework Statement

PS. There's a bug in your preview viewer that causes the template to be appended to the text.

Expand the left side of your equation and bring the y/z term over to get
x2 - xy - y/z = 0

This is a quadratic equation in x. Use the quadratic formula to solve for x in terms of y and z.

The bug you mentioned has been known for quite a while. I don't know if the owner of the site has attempted to fix it.

Its working very well, thank you.

Related to How can I solve for x in the equation z = y/x * 1/(x-y)?

1. What is the first step in solving "X(x-y) = y/z" for x?

The first step is to distribute the X to both terms inside the parentheses. This will result in the equation becoming "X^2 - XY = y/z".

2. How do you isolate the variable x in the equation "X^2 - XY = y/z"?

To isolate the variable x, you need to move all the terms with x to one side of the equation and all the constant terms to the other side. In this case, you would move the -XY term to the right side, making the equation "X^2 = y/z + XY".

3. What is the next step after isolating x in the equation "X^2 = y/z + XY"?

The next step is to factor out the x on the right side of the equation. This will result in the equation becoming "X^2 = x (y/z + Y)".

4. How do you solve for x in the equation "X^2 = x (y/z + Y)"?

To solve for x, you need to divide both sides of the equation by the quantity (y/z + Y). This will result in the equation becoming "X^2 / (y/z + Y) = x".

5. What is the final answer for the equation "X(x-y) = y/z solve for x"?

The final answer is "x = X^2 / (y/z + Y)". This is the solution for x in terms of the other variables in the equation.