How can x^n < y^n be proven using Spivak's 12 axioms and mathematical induction?

  • Thread starter Thread starter alfred_Tarski
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calculus
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
alfred_Tarski
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Prove that x < y and n is odd implies x^n < y^n

This is from chapter 1 problem 6 (b), so I am sure a lot of you are familiar with this. One can only use Spivak's 12 axioms, theorems derived from said axioms, and mathematical induction.

Homework Equations



x^n - y^n = (x - y)(x^{n-1} + x^{n-2}y + ... + xy^{n-2} + y^{n-1})

Sorry I do not know how the scripting language works here.

The Attempt at a Solution



I have tried doing this problem for about five hours, *shame*, and I have looked up hints on the internet about it but have been still unsuccessful. I think my problem with this exercise is my accounting.

Here is one of my attempts:

If x < y [itex]\wedge[/itex] n is odd [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] x^n < y^n

There are three cases to consider:

(1) 0 [itex]\leq[/itex] x < y
(2) x < 0 [itex]\leq[/itex] y
(3) x < y [itex]\leq[/itex] 0

Case (1) is a special case of the previous theorem we proved in problem 6 (a), so it's trivial.
Case (2) is a negative number to an odd power is less than a positive number to an odd power, so again trivial. But since I am so new to proofs, it would be nice if one of you nice gentlemen or ladies would help me show this. (I am about 1/4 the way done with the book How To Prove It and my school has never taught me anything about proofs in my 1 and 1/2 years of attendance)
Case (3) is the case which I have been stuck on.
x < y [itex]\leq[/itex] 0
x - y < 0 < -y
∴ x - y < 0
Notice all three cases can produce this inequality so there must be one logical way to prove them all at once WLOG, but I do not see it?
I've also tried to prove this other ways, namely induction and contrapositive, but they did not get me any closer. Thanks for your time, and I really appreciate any and all responses.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I know you've said that you tried induction, but I think you should give it another try. For case 3, this is my recommended outline/hint guide:

1. The base case is n=1. This is trivially true.
2. Let [itex]m\geq 1[/itex] be odd. Then m=k+1 for some k even.
3. [itex]x<y \Leftrightarrow -y<-x[/itex]. What do you know about even powers and inequalities? (note that -y and -x are both positive).
4. Since [itex]-x>0[/itex], you know that for any [itex]0<a<b[/itex], the following holds: [itex]-xa<-xb[/itex].
5. But then, you know from 3. that [itex]-y<-x[/itex]...

That's the gist of it.
 
You can prove that xn<yn for x<y and n odd if both x and y are positive.

If case both x and y negative, x<y means |x|>|y|. Both are positive numbers, so |y|n<|x|n. And you know that |y|=-y, |x|=-x... Can you proceed?


ehild