How Can You Measure Radius Distortion in a Shattered Wineglass Using Resonance?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
djandrey_m
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


We shattered a wineglass using resonance. We also filmed the radius distortions here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpcXf906wPw&feature=channel_page

We also filmed it shattering here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45agipT91Vw&feature=channel

How do we measure how much the radius of the rim distorts?


2. The attempt at a solution

I got this free software Imagej, one can use it to set scale and measure distances in images. And do many other things. But I still can't figure out how to measure the amount of radius distortion. Anybody got any simpler and/or better ideas?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Please help me on this. I guess I could use the primitive method of sticking a ruler to the screen and measuring the change in radius.
 
The best way would to have put some scale paper or something around the glass and then had cameras as specific locations such you could have measured from the paper.

Now it's going to be a tough realistic approximation.