How Close Can to Perfection can a Bouncy Ball get?

• Thread starter duckplus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for creating a bouncy ball with a bounceback ratio close to 100% using current technology. A 90% bounceback has been achieved with a B-16 bouncy ball, but there is interest in seeing even better results. The conversation also mentions a video where a steel ball bounced on three different surfaces, with the ball bouncing the longest on a surface made of "LiquidMetal." There is speculation on whether using this material as the core of a super-compressed rubber bouncy ball would make it extremely bouncy. The conversation concludes with the suggestion of using nitinol, a material known for its super elasticity, as a possible improvement for creating a bouncy ball with a high bounceback
duckplus
First post here. Hello!

I am wondering how close a bouncy ball's bounceback ration can get to 100% with our current technology. I have a B-16 bouncy ball (the best I can find on the internet) that has a 90% bounceback. It would be great to see something even better.

On a related note, I saw a video where steel balls were bounced on three different ball bearings. One was titanium, one was steel, and one was "LiquidMetal." The steel ball bounced on the LiquidMetal 3 times longer than than the other surfaces. Would a bouncy ball made out of super-compressed rubber with this material as its core make the ball extremely bouncy?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Is this for a homework assignment?

If so you need to follow the PF template and read up on forum rules. We can't give you answers only hints but only after you show us some work.

No, this is out of curiosity.

so basically the harder and more solid the surface and the harder the ball the closer to 100% you'll get but 90% sounds pretty good.

I don't know what the best rebound rate you can ever get as some energy is dissipated on each bounce due to deformation of the ball and surface which converts the KE to heat and very minimally by air resistance.

and some info on the super-ball of yesteryear (ie when I was a kid):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Ball

Last edited:
I feel like we can get a bit better than 90% if there was actually a major demand. Alas, there is not. However, do you think there is much room for improvement possible?

Maybe a solid ball of nitinol would work better - bouncing on a solid nitinol surface? This material is known to be "super elastic". One must do som pretty good work for that material to be permanently deformed (Which will cause loss). Just a thought.

Vidar

1. How is perfection measured for a bouncy ball?

Perfection for a bouncy ball can be measured in terms of its bounce height, bounce consistency, and durability. A perfectly bouncy ball would have a high bounce height, consistent bounces, and maintain its shape and elasticity over time.

2. What factors affect the perfection of a bouncy ball?

The material used, the size and shape of the ball, and the manufacturing process can all affect the perfection of a bouncy ball. The material should have a high elasticity and be able to maintain its shape. The size and shape can impact the bounce height and consistency, and the manufacturing process should ensure that the ball is evenly filled and has a smooth surface.

3. Can a bouncy ball ever be considered perfect?

It is difficult to achieve absolute perfection in any object, including a bouncy ball. However, with advancements in materials and manufacturing processes, bouncy balls can come close to perfection in terms of their bounce height, consistency, and durability.

4. Is there a limit to how close a bouncy ball can get to perfection?

As with any object, there is a limit to how close a bouncy ball can get to perfection. This is due to the limitations of materials and manufacturing processes. However, constant research and improvements can continue to push the boundaries of bouncy ball perfection.

5. How can the perfection of a bouncy ball be improved?

The perfection of a bouncy ball can be improved by using high-quality materials with high elasticity, perfecting the size and shape for optimal bounce, and refining the manufacturing process to ensure consistency and durability. Regular testing and research can also lead to new advancements and improvements in bouncy ball perfection.