1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How close can you get to a stop sign before you start braking?

1. Sep 20, 2007 #1
    Please help! This is urgent!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1) A typical car's brakes can create a maximum acceleration of less than 5 m/s^2 . How
    close can you get to a stop sign before you start braking?

2. Relevant equations
    no idea at all since there isn't even enough information given to solve this.

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't think it's even doable, since there's no initial velocity. Or am I wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2007 #2

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm stumped too. You need an initial velocity and a more exact acceleration than > 5m/s^2. You could do the problem with 5 m/s^2 and phrase your answer as "it needs at least x meters". But you still need an initial velocity. As your initial velocity approaches 0, your stopping distance also approaches 0. What if you were already at a stop? Then your stopping distance would be 0, regardless of how good your brakes were.

Is this a trick question and we just don't get the trick? Are you sure you worded it right?

4. Sep 20, 2007 #3
    I am sure I worded it right.

Actually, I just copied it straight out of the textbook.

I tried to put the Vi as 0, but that doesn't make sense. And what am I suppose to put the acceleration as? I can't really put it as <5m/s^2. :S

5. Sep 20, 2007 #4
    Well, here are my thoughts about this problem.
    You must find a distance, measured in units of length (m). You are given acceleration, which has units of (m/s^2). Thus, you MUST have some other physical quantity, which involves units of time (s), or you won't be able to transform acceleration in such a way so as to get distance. I'd suggest you assume a typical acceleration as allowed in the city streets, such as 50 km/h and then the problem becomes fairly easy.

6. Sep 20, 2007 #5

J77

Yeah -- it could be a question to sort of those with a bit of common sense from those who read/do questions like robots.

If I came across a question in a test, the first thing I would do is write something like, "As no velocity is given, I will assume the car is travelling along a flat road at 50 km/hr."

If I was setting school tests, I'd always include a question which needed some common sense assumptions :smile:

7. Sep 20, 2007 #6
    Isn't it just asking you to find x in terms of vi?

No need to be sticking assumed numbers in.

8. Sep 20, 2007 #7

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That makes sense. Perhaps the answer is expected to be a formula. You'd still need to preface your answer with "no further than" and then use 5m/s/s as your acceleration.

9. Sep 20, 2007 #8
    okay given a certain speed you can calculate the stopping distance
    x= [m]
    v= [m/s]
    a= 5 [m/s^2]
    t= braking time
    for a certain speed you calculate braking time:
    t=v/a
    x=(1/2)*a*t^2
    as stated above t=v/a so -> t^2=(v/a)^2.
    x=(1/2)*5*(v/5)^2
    x= 2.5*(v^2)/(5^2)
    x=0.1*v^2
    praise me!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?