How close can you get to a stop sign before you start braking?

In summary, the maximum acceleration of a typical car's brakes is less than 5 m/s^2. To calculate how close you can get to a stop sign before braking, you must find the stopping distance, which is given by the formula x= 0.1*v^2, where v is the initial velocity in m/s. However, as no initial velocity is given, an assumption must be made in order to solve the problem.
bbface_assassin
Please help! This is urgent!

Homework Statement

1) A typical car's brakes can create a maximum acceleration of less than 5 m/s^2 . How
close can you get to a stop sign before you start braking?

Homework Equations

no idea at all since there isn't even enough information given to solve this.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think it's even doable, since there's no initial velocity. Or am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm stumped too. You need an initial velocity and a more exact acceleration than > 5m/s^2. You could do the problem with 5 m/s^2 and phrase your answer as "it needs at least x meters". But you still need an initial velocity. As your initial velocity approaches 0, your stopping distance also approaches 0. What if you were already at a stop? Then your stopping distance would be 0, regardless of how good your brakes were.

Is this a trick question and we just don't get the trick? Are you sure you worded it right?

I am sure I worded it right.

Actually, I just copied it straight out of the textbook.

I tried to put the Vi as 0, but that doesn't make sense. And what am I suppose to put the acceleration as? I can't really put it as <5m/s^2. :S

Well, here are my thoughts about this problem.
You must find a distance, measured in units of length (m). You are given acceleration, which has units of (m/s^2). Thus, you MUST have some other physical quantity, which involves units of time (s), or you won't be able to transform acceleration in such a way so as to get distance. I'd suggest you assume a typical acceleration as allowed in the city streets, such as 50 km/h and then the problem becomes fairly easy.

Yeah -- it could be a question to sort of those with a bit of common sense from those who read/do questions like robots.

If I came across a question in a test, the first thing I would do is write something like, "As no velocity is given, I will assume the car is traveling along a flat road at 50 km/hr."

If I was setting school tests, I'd always include a question which needed some common sense assumptions :smile:

Isn't it just asking you to find x in terms of vi?

No need to be sticking assumed numbers in.

Capuchin said:
Isn't it just asking you to find x in terms of vi?

No need to be sticking assumed numbers in.

That makes sense. Perhaps the answer is expected to be a formula. You'd still need to preface your answer with "no further than" and then use 5m/s/s as your acceleration.

okay given a certain speed you can calculate the stopping distance
x= [m]
v= [m/s]
a= 5 [m/s^2]
t= braking time
for a certain speed you calculate braking time:
t=v/a
x=(1/2)*a*t^2
as stated above t=v/a so -> t^2=(v/a)^2.
x=(1/2)*5*(v/5)^2
x= 2.5*(v^2)/(5^2)
x=0.1*v^2
praise me!

1. What is the recommended distance to start braking before reaching a stop sign?

The recommended distance to start braking before reaching a stop sign is typically around 30 feet or 9 meters. This allows enough time for the driver to come to a complete stop without abruptly slamming on the brakes.

2. Is it safe to wait until the last minute to brake at a stop sign?

No, it is not safe to wait until the last minute to brake at a stop sign. This can cause the driver to lose control of the vehicle and potentially lead to a collision.

3. How does the speed of the vehicle affect the braking distance at a stop sign?

The speed of the vehicle directly affects the braking distance at a stop sign. The faster the vehicle is going, the longer the braking distance will be. This is due to the increased momentum and force that needs to be overcome to come to a complete stop.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the braking distance at a stop sign?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the braking distance at a stop sign. These include the condition of the road (e.g. wet or icy), the condition of the tires, and the weight of the vehicle.

5. Can you use the same braking distance for all types of vehicles at a stop sign?

No, the braking distance can vary depending on the type of vehicle. Larger and heavier vehicles may require a longer braking distance compared to smaller and lighter vehicles. It is important for drivers to be aware of the capabilities and limitations of their specific vehicle when approaching a stop sign.