How Come this does Not Give Rise to an Epidemic?

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rise
In summary, while dumpster diving may not result in an epidemic, the fact that homeless people are regularly exposed to many communicable diseases makes it a risky activity.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
And of course, I am glad it doesn't (hasn't yet?) .

Hi All,
I see daily people going through trash cans looking for recyclables. These people do not wear gloves, and their hands go through all sorts of trash, including food leftovers. I imagine at some point they may rub their faces with their hands, and they may come into physical contact with many others in many different ways. In my very rudimentary knowledge of Biology and Epidemiology , this seems to provide " perfect storm " conditions for an epidemic. Now, I have seen this going on for years. Why isn't this creating an epidemic?

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm sure the disease rates of people that forage through dumpsters frequently, and homeless people living in the street and makeshift shantytowns is significantly higher than other human communities.

But there's a couple things. First, these communities in the large scale picture are relatively rare, and most importantly, isolated, meaning that it is relatively rare that a homeless person goes up and gives a man in a suit a big bearhug or even shakes his hand (without first washing up at least.)

Even if this did happen, the most common infections from ravishing through dumpsters I would guess would be bacteriological or fungal, and these are easily treated with mainstream medications, they are not going to cause an epidemic.

More serious diseases such as HIV or hepatitus C are blood borne diseases and are typically not going to be transmitted through even heavy casual contact.

Finally, any other more highly communicable disease outbreak in a homeless population would likely be immediately identified (in the US/developed countries at least) and quarantined until the outbreak was under control.

The real danger of an epidemic comes not from an indigenous homeless population, but rather the introduction of a pathogen from some foreign source where the indigenous population has no natural immunity.

Case in point, Ebola, which has been all over the news lately. We definitely don't want that coming into the USA. Another dangerous one is bird flu, we don't want that one either.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Epidemic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemic

Endemic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endemic_(epidemiology )

Reading those, especially the modes of transmission of disease, and the endemic steady state equation, dumpster diving would probably not result in a disease of epidemic proportions. Granted, someone may have a "better" chance of becoming ill if in close direct contact with a disease causing biological agent from a dumpster. But then again, the area around dumpsters is not designated as being hazardous to the general population health, otherwise airborne transmission, for one method, would be a cause of concern for passersby, or direct contact, as another method, for regular users of the dumpster.

Last edited by a moderator:
WWGD said:
And of course, I am glad it doesn't (hasn't yet?) .

Hi All,
I see daily people going through trash cans looking for recyclables. These people do not wear gloves, and their hands go through all sorts of trash, including food leftovers. I imagine at some point they may rub their faces with their hands, and they may come into physical contact with many others in many different ways. In my very rudimentary knowledge of Biology and Epidemiology , this seems to provide " perfect storm " conditions for an epidemic. Now, I have seen this going on for years. Why isn't this creating an epidemic?

Epidemics usually require one thing above all else: a highly infectious, disease-causing agent. If the people in the town were dumping trash teeming with cholera into the dumpsters, I would say you would soon get an epidemic of cholera. Although it is dirty and smelly, most trash does not harbor deadly communicable disease, otherwise the entire planet would be facing epidemics constantly.

After all, do you handle the trash in your home with gloves and exposure suits? Are your trash cans hermetically sealed to prevent infectious agents from being released in your home?

SteamKing said:
Epidemics usually require one thing above all else: a highly infectious, disease-causing agent. If the people in the town were dumping trash teeming with cholera into the dumpsters, I would say you would soon get an epidemic of cholera. Although it is dirty and smelly, most trash does not harbor deadly communicable disease, otherwise the entire planet would be facing epidemics constantly.

After all, do you handle the trash in your home with gloves and exposure suits? Are your trash cans hermetically sealed to prevent infectious agents from being released in your home?

Well, no, I don't use gloves, but I don't put my hands through the trash, neither with, nor without gloves, unlike many homeless people, who do so daily. And I don't have rats roaming through my trash, unlike it often happens with city trash cans. Still, I get your points; thanks all for your answers.

1. Why are some diseases able to cause epidemics while others are not?

There are several factors that contribute to the potential for a disease to cause an epidemic. These include the mode of transmission, the virulence (or severity) of the disease, the susceptibility of the population, and the effectiveness of preventive measures such as vaccines and public health interventions.

2. Can a disease that does not typically cause epidemics suddenly become an epidemic?

Yes, it is possible for a disease to suddenly cause an epidemic if conditions are favorable for its spread. For example, if a new strain of a virus emerges or if a population experiences a decrease in immunity due to factors such as travel or overcrowding, a disease that was previously contained may become an epidemic.

3. Why do some diseases only cause isolated outbreaks instead of widespread epidemics?

Some diseases may not have the necessary characteristics to sustain widespread transmission and become an epidemic. For example, if a disease is only spread through close contact with an infected individual, it may not have the opportunity to spread to a large number of people and cause an epidemic.

4. How can we prevent a disease from becoming an epidemic?

There are several measures that can be taken to prevent a disease from becoming an epidemic. These include early detection and containment of cases, promoting good hygiene practices, implementing public health interventions such as quarantine and contact tracing, and developing vaccines to protect against the disease.

5. What role do human behaviors play in the spread of epidemics?

Human behaviors, such as travel, overcrowding, and failure to adhere to preventive measures, can greatly impact the spread of epidemics. For example, if individuals do not practice good hygiene or do not follow quarantine guidelines, it can increase the chances of a disease spreading to others and causing an epidemic.