Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How could we "reactivate" Mars' magnetic field?

1. Oct 28, 2016 #1
    Teenager just curious to see possible ideas.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Do you know what is the source of a magnetic field of a planet?

4. Oct 28, 2016 #3
    The movement of its molten metal core?

5. Oct 28, 2016 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The answer is simple - reliquify the core. The how part is where it gets tricky.

6. Oct 28, 2016 #5
    Are there other ways to protect Mars from solar wind?

7. Oct 28, 2016 #6

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

So it seems your ultimate goal is to terraform the planet, your intermediate goal is to create an atmosphere and you are working on a scheme to keep the atmosphere from being blown off by the solar wind?

If your question has this kind of motivation you will usually get better responses by being honest up front rather than by deflecting with "just curious".

8. Oct 28, 2016 #7
    Here are the steps
    1. Build a dyson sphere
    2 Build a large graser (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-ray_laser)
    3. Using the graser heat the metal core of Mars. The heating should be uneven, thus inducing stress and finally rotation.
    4. Bake for 1 hour
    5. Enjoy

Alternative route
    1. Change the orbit of a large astronomical object, so that it hits Mars
    2. Cool for a few thousand years

Might work if you hit Mars just right, maybe try a few times.

However this wouldn't stop the core from dying again, so for a permanent fix you would have to deposit vast quantities of radioactive matter in Mars' mantle. If you hit Mars with a radioactive astronomical object, it would be perfect.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  9. Oct 29, 2016 #8
    When I think about liquefying the metal core, shouldn't we just work on strengthening its atmosphere and moving life to Mars? Then we would heat it's exterior and possibly drop the temperature of its core when oceans are created. Surely the change of the ice from the the poles back to all over Mars as oceans has to have some kind of effect.

10. Oct 29, 2016 #9

My understanding of a Dyson sphere is a planet-like structure right? If there is something that massive in space would that disrupt gravitational fields between planets? Wouldn't that "eff" up everything? haha

I like the large astronomical object idea, but I feel like that might take a long time and relies heavily on chance. Just my opinion

Interesting ideas though :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted