Would a larger Martian moon create a stronger magnetic field

In summary, a large moon in orbit around Mars could theoretically create a stronger magnetic field, but it would need to be close to the planet and would experience high tidal stress.
Nick Michaud
I have read a previous forum discussing the possibility of creating a stronger magnetic field on Mars using tidal forces by putting a larger moon in orbit around Mars. My question is how large of an object would it have to be compared to Mars and how distant would its orbit need to be from the planet?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi there
welcome to PF :smile:

Nick Michaud said:
I have read a previous forum discussing the possibility of creating a stronger magnetic field on Mars using tidal forces by putting a larger moon in orbit around Mars. My question is how large of an object would it have to be compared to Mars and how distant would its orbit need to be from the planet?

do you know/understand how a planetary magnetic field is created, eg Earths one ?

then see how that fits in with a larger or smaller moonDAve

probably we can not create such a moon for Mars :) the magnetic field is produced from inside of planet. I mean the core and the movement around it. instead of moon, we can struggle with inside of mars, it can be easier..

A magnetic field for a planet is generated by movement of the liquid core.
Mars' core is thought to be no longer liquid which explains why it only has weak residual magnetic fields.
If a very large moon was engineered into the right orbit, it could *possibly* result in the core reheating due to tidal friction.
I don't think the result would be very predictable though, and it would need to be a really big moon with a close orbit to reheat the interior of Mars significantly.
I guess the largest asteroid Ceres might do the job, but there is of course no way or any forseeable way to actually achieve that. (It's about 1/7 of the the size of Mars itself).
A problem with the scenario is that this Moon would experience even greater tidal stress than Mars, so there is the possibility it might disintegrate

Last edited:

1. Would a larger Martian moon automatically create a stronger magnetic field?

No, the size of a planet's moon does not necessarily determine the strength of its magnetic field. Other factors such as the composition and rotation of the planet also play a significant role.

2. What is the relationship between a moon's size and the strength of a planet's magnetic field?

The size of a moon can indirectly affect the strength of a planet's magnetic field by influencing the planet's composition and rotation. A larger moon may also cause tidal forces that can generate a magnetic field.

3. Is there evidence of a correlation between the size of a Martian moon and the strength of its magnetic field?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest a correlation between the size of a Martian moon and the strength of its magnetic field. More research is needed to fully understand the factors that contribute to a planet's magnetic field.

4. Could a larger Martian moon potentially create a magnetic field on Mars if it does not currently have one?

It is possible that a larger Martian moon could generate a magnetic field on Mars, but it would depend on several other factors such as the moon's composition and distance from the planet. Without further research, it is difficult to determine the likelihood of this scenario.

5. How does the size of Earth's moon compare to the potential larger Martian moon in terms of creating a magnetic field?

Earth's moon is relatively small compared to the potential larger Martian moon. However, the moon's magnetic field is also very weak. This suggests that the size of a moon is not the only determining factor in generating a strong magnetic field.