How dangerous are dust storms for ships in the Suez canal?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 3K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
2,856
Reaction score
12,709
Here is a video of a big dust storm enveloping a ship in the Suez canal.


That's a concerning position to be in for someone running the ship. Can't even see the front end. Large ships are very slow at turning or slowing down.

I have been on a small ship (~250 foot) on a Florida river when a squall (short term storm) similarly reduced our vision. They blew the ship's horn, slowed down (river had curves), and used radar till the storm passed.
 
  • Wow
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Rive, phinds, davenn and 4 others
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
WOW crazy

sorry for late response, I only just saw your post .... I'm running late as usual