How did/do natural gas powered refrigerators work?

In summary, the conversation discussed the existence of natural gas powered refrigerators in the past, with the speaker expressing confusion about how they would work. They also mentioned that they are no longer commonly used, but small absorption refrigerators are still being made and used, with a Spanish manufacturer producing them for export.
bluemoonKY
My father told me that when he was a child in the 1950s, his parents owned a natural gas powered refrigerator. He said that the refrigerator made no noise when it was running. I can't fathom how a natural gas powered refrigerator would work. I mean, it would make no sense for natural gas to power the evaporator/condenser fans on the refrigerator. If natural gas powered the fans, it would entail natural gas powering a generator to generate the electricity. I think maybe natural gas powered the compressor on the refrigerator. My father thinks that maybe the refrigerator did not have any compressor at all. He thinks maybe the refrigerator cooled food in another way, but neither he nor I have any idea how it would work.

I am not sure, but I don't think that any natural gas powered refrigerators are made any more.

How did/do natural gas powered refrigerators work?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Today, small absorption refrigerators are comparatively rare, but they are still being made. Here is a Spanish manufacturer that has been making two models for over 30 years. Most of them for export:

http://www.taver.es/eng/frigorificos.php

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does a natural gas powered refrigerator work?

A natural gas powered refrigerator works by using the heat from burning natural gas to create a chemical reaction in a closed system. This reaction creates a cycle of evaporation and condensation, which cools the interior of the refrigerator. The process is similar to how a traditional electric refrigerator works, but instead of using electricity to power a compressor, it uses the heat from natural gas to drive the cooling mechanism.

2. What is the principle behind the cooling process in a natural gas powered refrigerator?

The cooling process in a natural gas powered refrigerator is based on the principles of thermodynamics. Specifically, it utilizes the Joule-Thomson effect, which states that when a gas expands into a lower pressure environment, it cools down. In this case, the natural gas is expanded and then compressed, creating a cooling effect inside the refrigerator.

3. How is the natural gas used in a refrigerator?

The natural gas is used in a refrigerator by burning it in a small burner located at the bottom of the appliance. The heat from the burner is then used to power the cooling cycle, which cools the interior of the refrigerator. The gas is constantly recycled and reused in this process, making natural gas powered refrigerators more energy-efficient than traditional electric refrigerators.

4. Are natural gas powered refrigerators safe to use?

Yes, natural gas powered refrigerators are safe to use. They have built-in safety features, such as a pilot light that goes out if there is a gas leak, and a thermocouple that shuts off the gas supply if the flame goes out. However, as with any gas appliance, it is important to have it installed and maintained by a professional to ensure safety and proper functioning.

5. What are the advantages of using a natural gas powered refrigerator?

There are several advantages to using a natural gas powered refrigerator. They are more energy-efficient than electric refrigerators, as they do not rely on electricity to power the cooling process. They also do not require a constant power source, making them a good option for off-grid or remote locations. Additionally, natural gas is generally more affordable than electricity, resulting in lower operating costs for the appliance.