How did Einstein see that Entanglement lead to Connectedness

In summary, Einstein's realization about EPR entanglement was a result of his belief that QM was incomplete. He saw that the principle of superposition, which he believed to be a fundamental aspect of QM, allowed for entanglement of particles. This entanglement meant that particles could be connected in a way that seemed to defy traditional concepts of distance, time, and velocity. This was a unique phenomenon predicted by QM and was a strong motivation for those who believed in "spooky action at a distance." Einstein also had a great admiration for Dirac's Principles of QM, which was based on the principle of superposition. Research has shown that entanglement is a fundamental aspect of QM.
LoveQM
I am studying the history of Quantum Mechanics and was reading about particle entanglement. What I would like to know is how did Einstein see that particle Entanglement meant that particles would be affected by spooky action at a distance. I guess that spooky action at a distance may also be associated to mean a form of connectedness. I would like to understand what led him to this conclusion? Put another way what is it in the formulations of QM that suggested that this particular phenomenon would occur? I am an avid reader of physics books and magazines so please feel free to give as much detail as you like.

Physics news on Phys.org
LoveQM said:
What I would like to know is how did Einstein see that particle Entanglement meant that particles would be affected by spooky action at a distance. I guess that spooky action at a distance may also be associated to mean a form of connectedness. I would like to understand what led him to this conclusion?

Einstein did not believe in "spooky action at a distance (FTL influences)." There were (and are) others who do. Certainly, entanglement of distant objects - as predicted by QM - would be a strong motivation for that view.

Likes bhobba
DrChinese said:
Einstein did not believe in "spooky action at a distance (FTL influences)." There were (and are) others who do. Certainly, entanglement of distant objects - as predicted by QM - would be a strong motivation for that view.

Okay, yes I agree he did not believe in spooky action at a distance. What exactly is it within QM that predicts this phenomenon? He must have seen or invented a particular equation that suggested EPR paradox. I think that there must be a particular equation that predicts it. So I guess I would like to know what that equation is and have it broken down and interpreted to the point where I can see for myself how this interpretation was discovered. I am looking for that specific detail.

LoveQM said:
Okay, yes I agree he did not believe in spooky action at a distance. What exactly is it within QM that predicts this phenomenon? He must have seen or invented a particular equation that suggested EPR paradox. I think that there must be a particular equation that predicts it. So I guess I would like to know what that equation is and have it broken down and interpreted to the point where I can see for myself how this interpretation was discovered. I am looking for that specific detail.

You will want to start with Louisa Gilder's excellent but layman-accessible history "The age of entanglement". That will give you enough context to make sense of what you find when you dig deeper into specific areas. You should then read Giancarlo Ghiardi's "Sneaking a look at God's cards" for the breakdown and interpretation that you're looking for.

Likes bhobba
LoveQM said:
What exactly is it within QM that predicts this phenomenon?

Its a simple deduction from the principle of superposition.

Its a common, but incorrect, misconception that Einstein thought QM incorrect and didn't really understand it. Both are wrong. He believed QM correct, but incomplete. He carried a copy of Dirac's Principles of QM at all times saying it was the most perfect development. Dirac based his treatment on the principle of superposition so its hardly surprising he cottoned onto the implications of entanglement. Even Bohr was very impressed with EPR realizing it was very deep and subtle. Many scientists responded quite quickly to the EPR paper. Bohr was much more circumspect, taking a long time to publish his take.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
@Nugatory I ordered the book Giancarlo Ghiardi's "Sneaking a look at God's cards. Catch name. I have read other books on the topic but this one detail evades me.
@bhobba I got excited for a moment to hear Dirac connection, I did not know Einstein like Dirac's Principles of QM so much. I have read a lot about Einstein. I began to think about Superposition and I could not make the connection between Superposition and EPR entanglement. So at this point Einstein's realization about EPR is still hidden from me. Perhaps you could elaborate more on that angle.
There must exist an equation that has the proper elements that describes the entanglement process. To me entanglement means that some how twin particles are actually physically tied together just like two separate shoe strings. I know that this is most likely a naive assumption but what else could two particles be that are entangled. Somehow they become one single system and remain a locally contacted single element even though they are separating. I think the equation does not have a term that includes distance, time or velocity. Those elements would then bring a time interval into play and supposedly no time passes when one particle is measured and the other is affected.

LoveQM said:
I began to think about Superposition and I could not make the connection between Superposition and EPR entanglement.

Suppose a particle can be in two states |a> and |b>. If particle 1 is in state |a> and particle 2 in state |b> then that is written as |a>|b>. Similarly if particle 1 is in state |b> and particle 2 in state |a> that is written as |b>|a>. Now the principle of superposition says if a system can be in two states |1> and |2> then c1*|1> + c2*|2> where c1 and c2 are complex numbers is another possible state. Applying this to state |a>|b> and |b>|a> means that c1*|a>|b> + c2*|b>|a> is also a possible state. Such states are called entangled which is something peculator allowed by QM. The particles are not in state |a> or |b> - they are in some weird sort of combination.

Just as an aside the latest research points to entanglement being the rock bottom essence of QM:
https://arxiv.org/abs/0911.0695

But that is bye the bye.

Now a typical state used in Bell type discussions is where c1 = 1/√2 and c2 = 1/√2 so we have the state 1/√2 |a>|b> + 1/√2 |b>|a>. Suppose we observe particle 1. If we find it is in state |a> then since the state with particle 1 in state |a> is |a>|b> particle 2 must be in state |b>. Similarly if we find it is in state |b> then since the state with particle 1 in state |b> is |b>|a> particle 2 must be in state |a>. While pretty intuitive it can be made totally rigorous using the rules of QM. That's all that going on. Because of superposition if you know the state of one particle you automatically know the other.

It was the genius of Einstein to see into the heart of this as a big issue for QM. The resolution came with Bell and his theorem:
http://drchinese.com/David/Bell_Theorem_Easy_Math.htm

Thanks
Bill

@bhobba
Ah okay I got it. EPR is just a rule if A is in this state then the B has to be in the other. Okay now just for my own sanity sake then in order for EPR to become magical. They must have done an experiments that forced A into a particular state using some sort of polarizing filter and then somehow B changed to the appropriate state instantly. Do I have that part right? For my understanding I need to know that is what they actually did in the experiment. Thanks for your help the fog is starting to clear now.

LoveQM said:
@bhobbaFor my understanding I need to know that is what they actually did in the experiment.

Its easy when you think in terms of spins:
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qt-epr/#3

See the section spin and the Bohm version.

Thanks
Bill

1. What is entanglement and how did Einstein see it as connectedness?

Entanglement refers to the phenomenon in which two or more particles become correlated and share a quantum state, even if they are separated by large distances. Einstein saw this as connectedness because it implies that the particles are somehow still communicating with each other, despite the distance between them. This goes against the principles of classical physics, which state that information cannot travel faster than the speed of light.

2. How did Einstein's theory of relativity play a role in his understanding of entanglement?

Einstein's theory of relativity, which encompasses both special and general relativity, helped him to understand the concept of entanglement. Special relativity explains the relationship between space and time, while general relativity explains how gravity affects the fabric of space-time. These theories allowed Einstein to see that entanglement is not a spooky action at a distance, but rather a consequence of the interconnectedness of space and time.

3. Did Einstein believe that entanglement could be used for practical purposes?

No, Einstein did not believe that entanglement could be used for practical purposes. He saw it as a fundamental property of quantum mechanics and did not think it could be harnessed for technology. However, his theories and understanding of entanglement have led to the development of technologies such as quantum computing and cryptography.

4. How did Einstein's views on entanglement differ from those of his contemporaries?

Einstein's views on entanglement differed from those of his contemporaries, such as Niels Bohr and Erwin Schrödinger. While Bohr and Schrödinger saw entanglement as a natural consequence of quantum mechanics, Einstein believed it to be a paradox and argued that there must be some underlying hidden variables that could explain it. However, later experiments and developments in quantum theory have shown that Einstein's views were not entirely correct.

5. Can entanglement be observed or measured?

Yes, entanglement can be observed and measured through various experiments, such as the Bell test. This involves creating entangled particles and measuring their correlation, which can be used to demonstrate non-local connections between the particles. However, the exact mechanism of how entanglement works is still not fully understood and is an active area of research in quantum physics.