How Did Magnetism Influence the Development of the Telephone?

  • Thread starter Thread starter troubleinphys
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Magnetism
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 13K views
troubleinphys
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi, I have a research question focusing on the historical development of the telephone. However, I have to write it with emphasis it's dependence principles of magnetism. So far, I have not found anything to relate the two topics. I also must include

1. a reference to at least one person who contributed to the development of the telephone

2. a description of the general scientific principles upon which the operation of the telephone designed by the person in number 1, is based.

3. a direct description of how the person in question 1 used the principles related to magnetic fields in their design.

So far, I have only found either one topic, or the other. I have no idea where to look for a person who used this principle to develop the telephone. Could someone help me out? Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I found the following on Wikipedia (article about Telephone):

14 February 1876 — Alexander Bell applies for the patent "Improvements in Telegraphy", for electromagnetic telephones using undulating currents.

30 January 1877 — Bell's U.S. patent 186,787 is granted for an electromagnetic telephone using permanent magnets, iron diaphragms, and a call bell.
 
troubleinphys said:
So far, I have not found anything to relate the two topics.

There is so much documentation out there about this primarily because of the telephones importance.
Magnetism plays a critical role in the telephone, try wikipedia for invention of telephone.
 
But isn't wikepedia not a valid source of information? Seeing as how other people write the articles, which could contain false information.
 
Thats a fair point to make but out of my own personal experience I have never come across anything wrong on wikipedia. Even though everyone can edit it, it still has standards, if mistakes are made they will be corrected.
 
Even if Wikipedia can sometimes state mistakes, you can still use it to look up information. If you need exact, detailed information about a certain subject (like the invention of the telephone) there are probably better sources available, which you might also be able to find through Wikipedia.