How did the teacher get the third zero?

In summary, the rules for finding an angle in the different quadrants from a given reference angle are as follows: In Q I, the angle is equal to the reference angle. In Q II, the angle is 180 degrees minus the reference angle. In Q III, the angle is the reference angle plus 180 degrees. In Q IV, the angle is 360 degrees minus the reference angle.
supernova1203
I understand how he got -120 and 360 as zeros, but then there is another zero 240, how did he get that?

Check the diagram i have posted (which was done by the teacher) for simpler version

A bit of background:

we are working with sine functions the equation being
y=2sin(x-30)+1

so we re arrange y=sin(x-30)=-1/2

using special triangles/angles learned in previous lessons i deduce that since we are working with with sin and special angle 30, the ratio is 1/2 but since it is negative i also deduce that using the CAST rule (AllA positive in quadrent I ,only sinS positive in quadrent II,
only tan T positive in quadrent III, and only cosC positive in Quadrent IV
hence CAST) that the triangle ( or terminal arms) are in Q III and Q IV

according to the rules i learned here on these very forums

If theta is in QII then 180-theta
If theta is in QIII then theta -180
If theta is in QIV then 360-theta
There is no referrence angle in QI because in QI the main angle is the same thing as the referrence angle

using those rules i find QIII = theta - 180
30-180 = -150

then sub it back into the original equation sin(x-30)=-1/2
x-30=-150
x=-150+30
x=-120
One of the zeros is -120
similarly

QIV = 360-theta
360-30
=330
sub into original equation
sin(x-30)=-1/2
x-30=330
x=330+30
x=360
One of the zeros is 360...

the teacher somehow finds another zero which is 240...i have no idea how.Ok i see how he did it, but it makes no sense when i try to use the rules
"If theta is in QII then 180-theta
There is no referrence angle in QI because in QI the main angle is the same thing as the referrence angle"
because he is doing it visually, and I am doing it the non visual way

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 365
Physics news on Phys.org
supernova1203 said:
If theta is in QII then 180-theta
There is no referrence angle in QI because in QI the main angle is the same thing as the referrence angle

using those rules i find QIII = theta - 180
30-180 = -150
You're mixing up here. θ is not the reference angle. They are angles in the different quadrants. What you wrote shows how to get the reference angle from θ. So, if you want to find an angle in Q III with reference angle 30°, you do this:

θ - 180° = 30°
or θ = 210°.
But θ is the angle whose sine is -1/2, or θ = x - 30°. So x = 240°.

In Q IV, you set up like this:
360° - θ = 30°
or θ = 330°.
Again, since θ = x - 30°, x = 360°.

Those are the only two angles you need. You also had x = -120°, but because θ = x - 30°, θ = -150°. -150° is coterminal with 210°, so there really is no need to list the answer x = -120°, unless x is restricted in some way.

For instance, in many problems like this, the directions would include 0° ≤ x < 360° as the restriction for x. If that is the case for your problem, then you would have to say that the answers are x = 0° and x = 240°. You would have to change the answer x = 360° to x = 0°, because x has to be less than 360°, so you have to get the coterminal angle for 360° within the range of x.

Last edited:
eumyang said:
You're mixing up here. θ is not the reference angle. They are angles in the different quadrants, what you wrote shows how to get the reference angle from θ. So, if you want to find an angle in Q III with reference angle 30°, you do this:

θ - 180° = 30°
or θ = 210°.

ohh so if the referrence angle is not known you use those rules but if it is known you do
θ - 180° = 30°?
so those rules are for finding reference angles but if we have the reference angles then we do that θ - 180° = 30°?

supernova1203 said:
ohh so if the referrence angle is not known you use those rules but if it is known you do
θ - 180° = 30°?
so those rules are for finding reference angles but if we have the reference angles then we do that θ - 180° = 30°?

I really don't think of these as rules -- there are plenty of "rules" in trig as it is. :biggrin: But if you want a summary, I guess you could write them this way:

If φ is the reference angle and you want to find the corresponding angle θ in the different quadrants,
In Q I, θ = φ
In Q II, θ = 180° - φ
In Q III, θ = φ + 180°
In Q IV, θ = 360° - φ

1. How did the teacher get the third zero?

The teacher most likely received the third zero due to not meeting the requirements or expectations for the assignment or test. This could be due to incorrect answers, incomplete work, or failure to follow instructions.

2. Is it fair for the teacher to receive a third zero?

The fairness of the third zero ultimately depends on the specific circumstances and the school's grading policies. If the teacher did not meet the requirements for the assignment, then it may be fair for them to receive a zero.

3. Can the teacher appeal the third zero?

It is possible for the teacher to appeal the third zero, but it will depend on the school's policies and the reasoning behind it. If the teacher believes the zero was given unfairly, they can discuss the matter with the school administration.

4. Will the third zero affect the teacher's overall grade?

Again, this will depend on the school's grading policies. Some schools may have a weight system for different assignments or tests, where the third zero could significantly impact the teacher's overall grade. Other schools may have a system where the teacher's overall grade is determined by their evaluations and not individual assignments or tests.

5. How can the teacher avoid getting a third zero in the future?

The teacher should carefully review and understand the requirements and expectations for each assignment or test. They should also communicate with the person grading their work to ensure they are meeting the expectations. Additionally, the teacher can seek support and guidance from colleagues or the school administration to improve their grading and teaching methods.