How to obtain state vector for polarised light

In summary, the representation of a general state oriented at angle theta to the horizontal written as $$\lvert\theta\rangle = \cos(\theta) \lvert r \rangle + \sin(\theta) \lvert u \rangle$$ is derived by considering the 2D Hilbert space spanned by the two orthogonal state vectors |u> and |r>, where any vector in the space can be expressed as a linear combination of the two state vectors. The constraint of normalization leads to the equation |a|^{2} + |b|^{2} = 1, which is satisfied by cos(θ) and sin(θ). This shows that the representation is mathematically valid and not just a result
etotheipi
If I'm using the basis vectors |u> and |r> for two polarisation states which are orthogonal in state space, I've seen the representation of a general state oriented at angle theta to the horizontal written as $$\lvert\theta\rangle = \cos(\theta) \lvert r \rangle + \sin(\theta) \lvert u \rangle$$This representation makes some sense since we could substitute in values of 0 and 90 degrees for theta and see that it reduces to the basis states, however I don't know how it is derived in the first place.

I asked my teacher and he just said to consider the horizontal and vertical components of light at some angle, however this didn't convince me very much since I've learned that basis states are abstract and their behaviour doesn't necessarily mirror what they look like in a geometrical sense. For example, although "up" and "down" spin states are not orthogonal in a physical sense, they are orthogonal in state space. Consequently, it doesn't seem good enough to just state that since the component of light in the x direction is cos(θ), the |r> component of the abstract state vector must also take this value.

Instead, I have learned that we obtain other state vectors by seeing what values make the probabilities correct. This state vector indeed satisfies these requirements, which we can easily "show" by taking the square of the inner product with one of the basis states and testing different values of theta.

However, is there a way of actually deriving this result instead of just checking that it works? Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
etotheipi said:
Consequently, it doesn't seem good enough to just state that since the component of light in the x direction is cos(θ), the |r> component of the abstract state vector must also take this value.
In the case of polarization, though, the ##|r\rangle## state does correspond to a physical direction. You can demonstrate that with a laser pointer and a couple of polarizing filters.

Likes etotheipi
tnich said:
In the case of polarization, though, the ##|r\rangle## state does correspond to a physical direction. You can demonstrate that with a laser pointer and a couple of polarizing filters.

My confusion is that, in the case a spin, we can choose the two basis vectors to be |u> and |d> - these definitely correspond to physical directions, as we can see through e.g. the Stern-Gerlach experiment - however we can also use them to construct the state vector for any other direction (e.g. |r>) even though there's no way of physically obtaining that direction with only up and down vectors. Instead, they relate to other state vectors corresponding to different spatial directions only really in terms of probabilities.

Even though in the case of polarisation |u> and |r> happen to be orthogonal in both state space and physical space, shouldn't it be only the relationship in state space which matters?

etotheipi said:
My confusion is that, in the case a spin, we can choose the two basis vectors to be |u> and |d> - these definitely correspond to physical directions, as we can see through e.g. the Stern-Gerlach experiment - however we can also use them to construct the state vector for any other direction (e.g. |r>) even though there's no way of physically obtaining that direction with only up and down vectors. Instead, they relate to other state vectors corresponding to different spatial directions only really in terms of probabilities.

Even though in the case of polarisation |u> and |r> happen to be orthogonal in both state space and physical space, shouldn't it be only the relationship in state space which matters?
If you use a polarizing filter to set the direction of linear polarization of a photon to ##|\psi\rangle##, and then measure its polarization against an arbitrary pair of orthogonal linear polarizations ##|r\rangle## and ##|u\rangle## with the direction of ##|r\rangle## differing from that of ##|\psi\rangle## by angle ##\theta##, then you would expect the probability of measuring the polarization as ##|r\rangle## to be ##\cos^2\theta## and the probability of measuring it as ##|u\rangle## to be ##\sin^2\theta##. So I would argue that in this case, the angle ##\theta## does have a physical meaning.

Likes etotheipi
etotheipi said:
If I'm using the basis vectors |u> and |r> for two polarisation states which are orthogonal in state space, I've seen the representation of a general state oriented at angle theta to the horizontal written as $$\lvert\theta\rangle = \cos(\theta) \lvert r \rangle + \sin(\theta) \lvert u \rangle$$
[...] is there a way of actually deriving this result instead of just checking that it works?
You have 2 orthogonal state vectors ##|u\rangle## and ##|r\rangle##, thus you are dealing with a 2D Hilbert space ##H## necessarily spanned by these 2 state vectors (because they are orthogonal). I.e., any vector in ##|\psi\rangle \in H## can be expressed as a linear combination: $$|\psi\rangle ~=~ a |u\rangle ~+~ b |r\rangle ~,$$ where ##a,b## are complex constants. If you want ##|\psi\rangle## to be normalized, it must satisfy the constraint: $$1 ~=~ \langle \psi | \psi \rangle ~.$$ Now, (exercise!) what constraint does this normalization condition impose between ##a## and ##b##?

strangerep said:
You have 2 orthogonal state vectors ##|u\rangle## and ##|r\rangle##, thus you are dealing with a 2D Hilbert space ##H## necessarily spanned by these 2 state vectors (because they are orthogonal). I.e., any vector in ##|\psi\rangle \in H## can be expressed as a linear combination: $$|\psi\rangle ~=~ a |u\rangle ~+~ b |r\rangle ~,$$ where ##a,b## are complex constants. If you want ##|\psi\rangle## to be normalized, it must satisfy the constraint: $$1 ~=~ \langle \psi | \psi \rangle ~.$$ Now, (exercise!) what constraint does this normalization condition impose between ##a## and ##b##?

Would the constraint be $$|a|^{2} + |b|^{2} = 1$$which is indeed satisfied by cos(θ) and sin(θ)?

etotheipi said:
Would the constraint be $$|a|^{2} + |b|^{2} = 1$$which is indeed satisfied by cos(θ) and sin(θ)?
Yes.

1. What is a state vector for polarised light?

A state vector for polarised light is a mathematical representation of the polarisation state of a light beam. It contains information about the direction and magnitude of the electric field vector of the light wave.

2. How is the state vector for polarised light obtained?

The state vector for polarised light can be obtained through various methods, including using polarisers, wave plates, and polarisation analyzers. These devices manipulate the polarisation of the light beam and allow for the measurement of its state vector.

3. What is the significance of the state vector for polarised light?

The state vector for polarised light is significant because it provides a complete description of the polarisation state of a light beam. This information is crucial for understanding and manipulating the behaviour of light in various applications, such as in optical communications and imaging.

4. Can the state vector for polarised light change?

Yes, the state vector for polarised light can change as the light beam interacts with different materials or passes through different optical elements. These changes can occur due to phenomena such as reflection, refraction, and scattering.

5. How is the state vector for polarised light used in research?

The state vector for polarised light is commonly used in research to study the properties of light and its interactions with matter. It is also used in various applications, such as in polarimetry, where it is used to measure the polarisation state of light in order to extract information about the properties of materials.