nonequilibrium said:
Ah interesting side-note there Lavinia.
As a physicist, when I used "trivial topology" I meant trivial as an adjective in the sense of trivial objects. (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triviality_(mathematics) ) This is vague on my end, and of course the more mathematically minded interpret "trivial topology" in the strict/exact sense as: topology where every point is open.
I can see why one might call the topology where every point is open a trivial topology but I think in mathematics the trivial topology would be the one where there are no open sets at all except the mandatory whole space and null set.
Interestingly it seems you managed to connect the two and make them one an the same, if we define the former (i.e. "no interesting topology") as being homeotopic to a space with trivial topology (in the strict sense). It's a bit of a weaker concept than what I had in mind, since I suppose I intuitively meant "something homeomorphic to affine space", but your notion has the benefit of connecting the two notions of "trivial topology" :)
The topology of Euclidean space is highly non-trivial and many deep theorems are needed to understand it. However, its homotopy type is the same as that of a single point. One might say that it has trivial homotopy type.
You are correct that homotopy type is weaker the homeomorphic but it is not a weak concept and plays an important role in topology.
BTW: The Wikipedia link to the mathematical idea of trivial that you provided seems correct.
According to the link, the sphere would have trivial fundamental group since every loop can be deformed to a point, but it does not have trivial homotopy type. Euclidean space has trivial homotopy type since it can be deformed to a point.
Here is a somewhat different example. A vector bundle over a topological space is called "trivial" if it is homeomorphic to the Cartesian product of the space with some vector space. Such a bundle has no structure that depends upon the topology of the base space. So for instance the tangent space of Euclidean space is a trivial bundle as is the tangent space of the torus. However, the tangent space of the sphere is not trivial.
Aside: I do not know whether in the Theory of Relativity, Space-Time is diffeomorphic to Euclidean space but that seems to be what the texts assume. A mathematician told me once that in order for there to exist a magnetic monopole that space would have to have "non -trivial topology" which I guess means handles that give it a non-trivial homotopy type. Can you elaborate on this?