How Do Gravitational Potential and Kinetic Energy Relate in Energy Conservation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
okgo
Messages
61
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement

box.jpg

Homework Equations


Wgravity = mgh
KE=1/2mv2

The Attempt at a Solution



I know the gravitational potential energy is different because mgh accounts for mass.
But the book says that B is correct. I don't know why because isn't the less mass you have the faster you go? 2KE/m=v2
 
Physics news on Phys.org
okgo said:

Homework Equations


Wgravity = mgh
KE=1/2mv2

The Attempt at a Solution



I know the gravitational potential energy is different because mgh accounts for mass.
But the book says that B is correct. I don't know why because isn't the less mass you have the faster you go? 2KE/m=v2

Step back a bit and look at the equations.

PE = KE at the bottom.

m*g*h = 1/2*m*v2

v2 = 2*g*h

The mass has canceled out.