1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I Apply for Post Graduate Course in USA for Physics

  1. May 25, 2013 #1
    I am under graduate (Bachelor of Science) in Physics from Gujarat University. I have passed following papers during my study in 3 years. (I did not found 2 papers from Gujarat University website so I have given reference for rest of papers)

    Second Year Bsc Syllabus: http://www.gujaratuniversity.org.in...of Science_Second Year/SYBSc_Physics_2004.pdf

    Third Year Bsc Syllabus: http://www.gujaratuniversity.org.in... of Science_Third Year/TYBSc_Physics_2005.pdf

    I have passed my under graduation with Second class. And, I would like to apply for post graduation course in USA.

    So, How can I apply for post graduation course in USA? Can anyone please guide me in same direction?

    I am interested to study regarding Nuclear energy.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2013 #2

    Simon Bridge

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    Welcome to PF;
    What you do is you pick a grad school and go ask them.
    You usually need a BS (BSc) with honors or a Master's degree in the appropriate fields from a recognized college, depending on the program you want to apply for.

    Education in the US is expensive - you'll want a scholarship too.

    This sort of information is readily available online.
    i.e. Colorado state publishes the folowing list of international qualifications:
    (See the section on India.)
  4. May 25, 2013 #3
    Thank you very much!!

    Hi Simon,

    Thank you very much for your reply. I have searched around 2 hours on Google regarding it. But, I did not come to know about it! I will check all details which was suggested by you...
  5. May 27, 2013 #4
    If I'm not mistaken, it's very difficult for a 3 year B.Sc student to get into a US post grad. Also, most top universities will offer you an integrated M.Sc (with a PhD). I would suggest looking at UK universities, as they are more lenient in taking 3 year B.Sc program students. Most Indians I have heard of go to the UK for their post grad and then US for PhD.

    Again, I might be wrong, wait for some other people to answer.
  6. May 27, 2013 #5

    Simon Bridge

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    You should pick a college and use their website instead of using google ... google will be a bit broad.
    Colleges don't usually make it difficult to find out how to apply to them.
    Most publish some sort of guide.

    Also watch for mention of organizations which help overseas students apply.

    Your own college seems to be well regarded ... you could also ask the staff there for advise, they will have had lots of students continue studies overseas and you are likely to want a reference anyway.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook