How do I benefit from a conference?

• Thread starter Questionasker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conference
In summary, attending a condensed matter, BEC, superfluid related conference can be overwhelming for those not continuously working in the field. However, it is important to select topics of interest, read backing papers, and take notes during the conference in order to expand one's scope of research. It is also important to remember the mantra of "throwing enough mud at the wall" in order to gain a better understanding of the diverse topics being discussed. Conferences can be enjoyable and provide opportunities to meet new people.
Questionasker
I am attending a condensed matter, BEC, superfluid related conference. I found though I work in this area but not continuously, I can hardly understand what people are talking about and what people are interested in. This let me feel that I am wasting my time in the conference room. The topics look so diverse and unrelated to each other. I think they must be closely related since many researchers seemingly are familiar with all the topics in this conference. How do you guys expand your scope of your researches through attending a conference? Do you have any good advice to avoid wasting time during a conference?

Physics news on Phys.org
Select topics of interest read backing papers on these topics, take note of things to look up later and believe that you'll understand what you're hearing don't tune out.

remember the mantra:

If you throw enough mud at the wall some of it will stick.

Prepare to have a muddy good time conferences can be fun and you'll meet some cool people.

1. How can I benefit from attending a conference?

Attending a conference can benefit you in many ways. You can gain knowledge and insights from experts in your field, network with other professionals, and potentially find new job opportunities.

2. Will attending a conference help me advance in my career?

Yes, attending a conference can definitely help you advance in your career. Not only can you learn new skills and stay updated on industry trends, but you can also make valuable connections that can lead to career opportunities.

3. Can I present my own research at a conference?

Yes, many conferences offer opportunities for attendees to present their own research. This can be a great way to gain recognition for your work and receive feedback from other experts in your field.

4. How do I prepare for a conference?

To prepare for a conference, you should research the speakers and topics beforehand, create a schedule of sessions you want to attend, and bring business cards and a notebook to take notes and exchange contact information with other attendees.

5. Are virtual conferences as beneficial as in-person conferences?

While in-person conferences offer the opportunity for face-to-face networking, virtual conferences can still be very beneficial. They often provide access to a wider range of speakers and topics, and you can still network and connect with other attendees through virtual platforms.