How do I calculate an area in Mathematica?

In summary, the conversation suggests using Mathematica to calculate the area of a region described by inequalities. The suggested method involves randomly generating points on the surface and checking if they are inside the region, with the fraction of points inside giving an approximation of the area. Care should be taken to ensure a uniform distribution of the points for accurate results.
IridescentRain
Hi!

Say I have a region described by any number of inequalities. This region is a surface in 3D space. How can I ask Mathematica to calculate the region's area?

If it helps, my particular region is the intersection of a hollow sphere and a solid (i.e. filled-out) toroid-like surface. I'm using Mathematica 9, but I think I can find a Mathematica 8 .dmg file and my old license key if necessary.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since no one has offered any idea and perhaps you might still see this...

Suppose you randomly generate a point on the surface of your sphere.
Then check to see whether that point is inside the toroid like surface.
Repeat that perhaps 10^6 times. See what fraction of those are inside.
Does that fraction tell you something interesting or useful?

Note: If you did not have a hollow sphere to start with then this might
be more complicated. You might think about why that might be.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thanks for the suggestion. With a million points, that would make a very good approximation. (Obviously, the area of my region would be the sphere's area times the fraction of points inside the torus.)

Cheers!

Wonderful. Just be very careful with that random generation so that the points are uniformly distributed across the sphere. Doing something like randomly choosing a latitude and then randomly choosing a longitude would not make the points uniformly distributed and would lead to an inaccurate estimate of the area.

Likes 1 person
Ah, thanks for the advice. It's perfectly reasonable now that you've mentioned it, yet I would have probably gone and done just that --randomly select a latitude and a longitude-- without realising that the point distribution would then be denser near the poles. I'll be more careful than that with my random-point selection.

Cheers!

1. How can I calculate the area of a square in Mathematica?

To calculate the area of a square in Mathematica, you can use the built-in function Area and specify the length of one side of the square as the input. For example, if the side length is 5, the command would be Area[5], which would give an output of 25.

2. What is the syntax for calculating the area of a circle in Mathematica?

To calculate the area of a circle in Mathematica, you can use the formula Area = Pi * radius^2. In Mathematica, this would be written as Area = Pi * r^2, where r is the radius of the circle.

3. Can I use Mathematica to calculate the area of a triangle?

Yes, you can use Mathematica to calculate the area of a triangle. There are two ways to do this: you can either use the Area function and specify the base and height of the triangle, or you can use the formula Area = 1/2 * base * height and input the values for base and height directly into Mathematica.

4. How do I calculate the area of a shape with irregular sides in Mathematica?

To calculate the area of a shape with irregular sides in Mathematica, you can use the Polygon function and specify the coordinates of the vertices of the shape. You can then use the Area function to find the area of the polygon.

5. Is there a way to calculate the area of multiple shapes at once in Mathematica?

Yes, you can use Mathematica to calculate the area of multiple shapes at once by using the Total function. This function takes a list of shapes as input and calculates the total area of all the shapes in the list. For example, if you have a list of squares with side lengths 2, 4, and 6, you can use the command Total[Area[{2, 4, 6}]] to get the total area of all three squares.