How do I calculate radial stress in a u-shaped t-beam with varying thickness?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 11K views
Jonny Black
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I have a u-shaped t-beam, and I am trying to calculate the radial stress where [tex]\theta[/tex]=0 degrees. I have calculated [tex]\sigma\theta_{}[/tex] but I am unclear on how to treat the varying thickness of the cross-section when integrating with respect to radius.
 
Attachments
  • scan0035.jpg
    scan0035.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,262
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Johnny,

You have to show your work first, so we can pinpoint where you went wrong.
 
[tex]\sigma_{r}=\frac{1}{tr}\int t\sigma_{\theta}dr[/tex]
with a lower limit of a=inner radius, and upper limit of r=variable radius. For one, why is the thickness even included in the equation since it cancels anyway, and two, how do I treat the varying thickness of the cross-section? I have tried
[tex]\sigma_{r}=\frac{1}{t_{1}r}\int^{b}_{a} t_{1}\sigma_{\theta}dr+\frac{1}{t_{2}r}\int^{c}_{b} t_{2}\sigma_{\theta}dr[/tex]

[tex]\sigma_{r}=\frac{1}{t_{1}r}\int^{r}_{a} t_{1}\sigma_{\theta}dr+\frac{1}{t_{2}r}\int^{r}_{b} t_{2}\sigma_{\theta}dr[/tex]
where the subscripts 1 & 2 denote the horizontal and vertical portions of the cross-section, respectively. Neither method gives viable results. a, b, and c denote radius's at each definition of the cross-section starting with the inner radius. I have found [tex]\sigma_{\theta}[/tex] already, I just need to know how to define the limits of the integral
 
I have added a couple of files for clarification. Also, I am plotting the radial stress as a function of the radius so the end result will include the variable "r".
 
Attachments
  • scan0036.jpg
    scan0036.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 892
  • scan0037.jpg
    scan0037.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 789