1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I choose u' u and v for relative velocity

1. Mar 26, 2015 #1

grandpa2390

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A certain quasar recedes from the earth with a speed of .87c. a jet of material is ejjected towards the earth at .55c relative to the quasar. find speed of ejected material relative to the earth

2. Relevant equations
    u = u'+v / 1 + u'v/c^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    guessing. that if I draw both reference frames, v is the velocity that stays constant. in this case v=.87c. in one reference frame, the quasar is receding, and in the other the earth is receding from the quasar. either way there is a .87c and I will call it v.

u is the velocity in the reference frame that it is given. .55c is the velocity of the ejected material in the quasar's reference frame. I want it in the Earth's reference frame though, so I call the known velocity in the quasar's reference frame u and the unknown velocity in the earth's reference frame u'.

and as long as I keep my signs straight, this should work right?

scratch that. the signs on u and v must be from the same reference frame.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2015 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You might find this way of writing the velocity addition formula helpful:
    Where ##V_{a/c}##, for example, means the velocity of a as measured by c. That should allow you to keep the signs straight.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted